LF a multimedia laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by f€nr1r, Jun 21, 2019.

1. f€nr1r

f€nr1r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there !

Before filling the "What should I buy form", I'll explain a little about what I have / what I'm looking for.

Right now, I've a Clevo P170SM-A (4910MQ / 980M) bought in 2016 on mysn.de. This has been my first computer purchase and I'm quite satisfied (well, I was 100% satisfied a few months ago).

However, I couldn't bear this DTR anymore. Too noisy (I'm not sure if I'm more intolerant to noise or if it's noisier than before, I've cleaned it regularly but I didn't repaste it) and now too bulky for my use (because I need something which I can carry with me). The good thing is that it will not be hard to find a less bulky computer or a less noisy one as Clevo is not known for that.

The second thing you need to know is that I'm planning to purchase a desktop PC for gaming / photography (with a dedicated display for this task) / multimedia in some years, so I do not look for a dedicated gaming laptop but mostly a computer which will fill the gap before I buy this desktop PC and that I can carry on when I'm not home.

I would say that I have a good knowledge about hardware. However, I'm not sure to understand the laptop market anymore. It has become more and more complex for me (or less and less complex, it depends how you see it) over time. Why that ? Because I think that the laptops were more segmented (I'm not a native speaker, I hope this word is correct). Now, whatever you purchase in the mid/high range, the differences are less visible, the market seems to me more unified (especially the differences between the "multimedia laptop" as a Dell XPS 15 and a "thin and light gaming laptop" as a Razor blade 15). Notebookcheck, a website I like to read for reviews, recently put the MSI P65 Creator 9SF-657 (RTX 2070 Max-Q !) in the multimedia laptop category.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

2000-3000 EUR (mostly the same budget in USD +/- 5% with the VAT)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. thin and light DTR; 17"+ screen
    Whatever meets my requirements, if possible 15" seems the sweet spot for me. No more bulky computer (<3kg)

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

For VAT issue, Europe if possible (I live in France), however, I don't mind buying online or in another country. I prefer an US International Keyboard, it may be an issue.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Clevo, Dell, Lenovo
    b. Dislike: MSI (even though I'm considering their new MSI P65 Creator with a 1660 Ti Max-Q (9SD) or a 2070 Max-Q (9SF))
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes as long as they are brand new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Writing , watching movies, editing photos, gaming (I'm not supposed to, I have to study but meh, I've been a gamer my whole life).

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Yes, a lot and mostly in places which require some silence.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

I promise I won't. But if I do, it will be mostly RTS / oldschool RPG / Turn-based Strategy games / rogue-lite. My last purchases are Steel Division 2 and TW: 3K. I don't think there are GPU-intensive games. (I would like to play the new DOOM Eternal however but I'll probably wait to play it on a 144Hz display).

GPU I've looked for : 1650 Max-Q / 1660 Ti Max-Q / 2060 / 2070 Max-Q. I'm not sure if the 2060 Max-Q has been cancelled. The great thing is that even with the 1650 Max-Q, I should expect a similar level of performances that with my current 980M. The 1660 Ti Max-Q seems to be the good ratio between performance, efficiency and money.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Really hard to determine, it's rare to find a place without a power socket. 4 hours seem good to me.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online purchase is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10 Pro

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

4K or 1440p, I prefer IQ and beautiful colors over screen reactivity (no competitive gaming)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Glossy would be better for IQ but matte would be more practical.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

I like good build quality and a laptop which can blend in with a business environment.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

500-1 TB (SSD NVMe if possible).

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Before September, 2019

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

3-4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

a few seconds, minutes, days, I don't know. Not too long.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

Both are OK.

---
    Thanks, I hope it's exhaustive.
    Laptop I've considered :
    new Dell XPS 15 7590 (not available atm)
    new ThinkPad Extreme X1 V2 (not available atm)
    new MSI Creator P65 (can't find it in France)
    new Razor Blade 15
    the successor to the HP Elitebook 1050 G1 (not announced yet)
    An Asus ZenBook ?

Thanks !

EDIT 1 : details about GPU I've looked for

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019