Let's talk transmissions: Manual vs Automatic - Vote & Discuss

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Aug 12, 2015.

?

Which do you prefer? Please post why below!

1. Automatic

11.4%
  2. Automatic w/Paddle-Shifters

8.6%
  3. Automatic w/Paddle-Shifters & Rev-Match Technology

5.7%
  4. Manual

68.6%
  5. Manual w/Rev-Match Technology

2.9%
  6. CVT Transmission

2.9%
  1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Exactly!
    Try lowering windows without a key and using dishwasher to wash two plates is just wasteful.

2. raduque

raduque Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My truck only comes with a failmatic transmission. It's a little less fail than most though, as it has a full manual mode that actually holds gears (won't upshift) and fully locks up the torque convertor in all gears except when shifting. I love pulling up to a light in 4th or 5th, downshifting to 3rd and hearing it rev up and pop-pop-pop from the exhaust as the engine helps slow the truck. Being able to control when it shifts is nice too.
    If I ever get handed 10k, I'm going to find a speed shop to swap in a real stick though. The 5.0 is just really held back by the auto.

3. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Auto gets a lot of bad rap from the days when it literally was a slushbox & there was something on the order of 40% drivetrain loss (and there were 3 speeds if you were lucky). They also slipped frequently, had durability like a 45 year old NFL QB with a torn ACL, and weighed as much as a bull elephant.

Fast forward several decades where everyone kept poo-pooing automatics as being crap. Then came the R171 SLK55AMG. Here was a car that made less power than a manual equipped Corvette, weighed more, and still beat it in the 1/4.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/mercedes-benz-slk55-amg-road-test

These aren't your grandaddy's automatics anymore. And they're not lossy, crap CVT's that only work on low HP applications. When you're in the 8+ speed automatic range, you're now not only able to accelerate faster than even the quickest manual (except perhaps a sequential or dogbox), but you're also able to outshine them on highway fuel economy too. Add on paddle-shifters & the ability to control shifts at will, virtually every benefit of manuals has been eclipsed by automatics.

However there's still a couple reasons why people prefer manuals. Peer-pressure/group-think & nostalgia. Nostalgia (and to an extent the "connected" feel to a car...because with an old fashioned manual, you're rowing gears & using your left foot. Not that the car will perform better (usually they'll perform WORSE now), but for some people more physical involvement = better. And for the rest, the automatic-hate-club has been going strong for decades, so it's simply easy to keep piling on the hate--rather than exploring the new technology & educating oneself about the changes & benefits that modern automatics have.

---
    In some ways, it reminds me of the resistance people have had towards fuel injection and turbochargers; both of which are so damn reliable nowadays that such arguments are downright silly (3.5L ecoboost turbos are rated for 150,000+ miles or so). But times change, progress marches on & technology improves.

As for me, I'm never getting a manual again. Ever. Lots of reasons; topography, traffic, having a broken right elbow (yes, this actually happened to me), reliability, etc. I change my ATX fluid at 15,000 so zealously that I'd wager I have more longevity out of my transmissions than most people do out of their manuals. Oh, and if I'm ever at the dragstrip, I never have to worry about missing fourth, hitting second & blowing up the engine.

booboo12 and Jarhead like this.
  4. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    P.S.
    My vehicle has a wheelbase like a European subcompact. It's a damn shame that Isuzu died off in the states.

5. Knight666

Knight666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since I switched from manual to automatic... I don't want manual anymore. I don't care. It's just too comfy for daily driving.
    But I tell you one: NEVER BUY GODDAMN CAR WITH CVT TRANSMISSION! (#capslock mode off). I just don't like it... switching from 1-2 and 2-3 is quite annoying and cannot be controlled like with normal 4+ automatic transmission.

I loved Focus 2016 with 2l motor, it had Dual-Clutch transmission and paddle shifters. Never had so much fun in a city. Just pure fun.

Don't hate me for what I've said, I'm just hippie in Nissan Juke... :D

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I had my manual transmission phase. It died off real fast once I got a job with a 30-mile one-way commute in Chicago traffic. IMO, a dual-clutch is a best-of-both-worlds compromise. My Tucson has it. It's not nearly as good as a VW/Audi DSG, but I have fun with it. I just wish my "Sport" trim level had paddle shifters. Gotta use the console lever when I want to run in manual mode.

7. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For me it's more about the feeling of it. There's something about the feeling of using the clutch and shifting gears that I just enjoy greatly. I'll be the first to admit that automatic transmissions have come a long way and that good newer ones don't have the sluggish feeling that I remember of 4 speed automatic transmissions.

That being said, should I have a commute that gets me stuck in traffic, no way I'm going manual, the balance between inconvenience and how I like the feel of a manual will have shifted towards the it's more inconvenient part.

booboo12 and MidnightSun like this.
  8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For daily driving I don't care about speed as much as I do the overall physical involvement and experience, which only manual provides (paddle shifting just isn't the same). And there's just a certain satisfaction about getting shifts/downshifts just right that make even driving a slow car/econobox fun. Even if I lived in LA or some place with horrendous traffic, I'd probably still opt for a manual, but I'd probably think twice about it in a city like SF.

booboo12 likes this.
  9. yutzybrian

yutzybrian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It pleases me to no end that the majority vote is for manual, especially so on a non-car related site.

I will never buy another automatic, got a 7.3 auto last year and now considering doing a manual swap or trading for a manual/long bed truck (currently have short bed).

10. inperfectdarkness

Reputations:
    That's not because manuals are better, but because of bandwagon appeal. It's "cooler" to say manuals are better, so people do it. Independent thought disappeared long ago--look at our political system & the Kardashian's popularity as proof.