Let's talk transmissions: Manual vs Automatic - Vote & Discuss

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by J.Dre, Aug 12, 2015.

?

Which do you prefer? Please post why below!

1. Automatic

11.4%
  2. Automatic w/Paddle-Shifters

8.6%
  3. Automatic w/Paddle-Shifters & Rev-Match Technology

5.7%
  4. Manual

68.6%
  5. Manual w/Rev-Match Technology

2.9%
  6. CVT Transmission

2.9%
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just curious and bored, so made this thread.

If you've seen the Post Your Ride(s) thread, you know I drive a 6-speed manual and have for a few years. Love it - total control, great for racing & spirited driving, etc. But we've come to a point where we are seeing the transmission evolve to 7-speed (or more) automatics with paddle shifters, multiple driving modes, rev-matching technology, and so on. This may actually change my preference. So, I'm curious: Which do you prefer and why?

Please vote & respond. Let the discussion begin!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    It depends to me. If the vehicle has enough power than the automatic is fine for everything I do. Like in my 2008 Dodge Cummins(1000 lb-ft) the 6 speed auto is better than the manual, its stronger, smoother, faster. If my vehicle was under powered then I would definitely want the manual.

3. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I prefer driving manual, just the feel of it. Though it can be a pain in traffic.

4. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Automatic transmissions are almost always parasites. Only the newest ones with dual clutches are worthwhile. The others have this leech called a torque converter in them.

What does a torque converter do you ask? Well...first it tries to bite off your fingers. :vbfrown:
    I should know. I almost lost two of my fingers to it. But it wasn't fast enough to get me. :vbbiggrin:

When it doesn't have any fingers to bite off, a torque converter then eats up engine power. What does it do with this engine power you ask?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

It's like voodoo magic. It takes engine power and makes it disappear completely! Torque converters are the engine power Houdini's/finger biters of the automotive world.

That being said, stay away from torque converters if you value your engine power, or your fingers...
    (You have been warned)

PS: why are CVT transmissions not on the poll? I have a CVT in my 2014 Corolla. It actually performs fairly well.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  5. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Added it for you.

After seeing the Nissan NISMO (370Z & GT-R) dual-clutch transmissions (with paddles and their rev-match system), I think I may actually prefer that over manual. However, the manual on the 370Z also has this rev-match transmission, so perhaps that's my new favorite.

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I prefer manual, but automatics prevail because:

- Parents just don't want to teach their kids how to drive a standard transmission
    - Not too many cars these days are sold with manual transmissions
    - With traffic getting worse and worse, manuals do make less sense for normal people
    - Many cars don't charge extra these days for an automatic transmission.

I do dislike CVTs, I wish they performed more like a regular automatic transmissions. The Subaru one is okay, but some other ones are really miserable.

7. radji

Reputations:
    I told you the CVT in my Corolla simulates shift points just like a standard automatic right?

At first I thought, it takes a high amount of RPMs to get this put-put going. But then realized I was jumping real fast off the starting line and getting up to 25mph way quicker than anyone else. At that point I realized how my CVT "shifts" twice in that speed range. I'm glad it simulates those shift points. It would be way too weird getting used to it not doing it. That being said, I do feel my CVT has an speed advantage over smaller engine automatics from standing start.

8. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    TBH the Corolla CVT isn't like most CVTs. Mitsubishi, and many cheap budget car CVTs drone so much as it revs to infinity before a gear change happens. Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Nissan are the only ones who know how to make a half decent CVT tranny. The Honda one in the Accord and Civic are fine, though on the lower end models like the Fit/HR-V is it quite droney. The CR-V is 50/50. Nissan has been making the Xtronic CVT for many years now and have mastered CVT tuning IMO. The Subaru one is okay, the newest 2015MY and newer cars have revised CVT tuning as a result of the 2012-2014 CVTs didn't garner the most favorable reviews.

9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Both my parents had manuals when I was getting my license, so it was learn the manual or not get my license. I prefer manuals because I find them to be a more engaging driving experience and both my vehicles have them. I can see where they might be a chore in heavy traffic, but it never really bothered me. Of course I live in the sticks, where congestion is not a problem. Traffic in my town is if I have to wait for more than one car to pass before turning onto main street.

10. radji

Reputations:
    Yeah, my Corolla engine never drones.

I've droned my Tacoma before when not upshifting quick enough on an Everest-esque hillside.

The one thing I have a difficult time adjusting to: the lower my revs get, the higher my speed increases. Just seems weird to me. But that's probably why it gets ~ 40 mpg highway.