Lets talk about Techtuff / Techtough CF-31 Black Cobra, any user feedback?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, Mar 30, 2019.

1. towelie

towelie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a really hard time getting Olarila Mojave installer past the loading screen, always gets a kernel panic. No luck on CF-54 mk2, FZ-G1 mk1, CF-20 mk1 and on my Ivy bridge Xeon desktop(even with only one core enabled). Picking up a Lenovo M93p tiny today which might help with the other ones(as many users had success with it and i might be able to transplant the storage afterwards in other computers).

2. towelie

towelie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was not able to install the latest mojave directly on my desktop but by installing it first on the lenovo m93p tiny and then transplanting it in the desktop which is a ivy bridge xeon instead of a haswell core i7, radeon vega gpu instead of intel and many more differences, it worked even better! I will try transplanting it in other computers later on, osx is surprisingly portable!

Shawn likes this.
  3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Osx being portable.
    That's interesting.

4. towelie

towelie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just tried to boot it up on my CF-20 and CF-54 but it kernel panics, everything is the latest version. I don't think i will have much more success on my FZ-G1 either.

5. TechTough

TechTough Company Representative

Reputations:
    ======================================================================================

Thanks for your interest in our Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 Black Cobra Wanterlustking.

To address your points:

- I am sorry but we cannot share our process on how we make our units the way we do, since that is a big part of our competitive advantage. I hope you understand...

- The internal HD webcam that we sell for the Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 blows everything else away on the market. For an internal webcam there is nothing else close for specs or performance. But yes, you can just get the webcam kit and most people can easily install it themselves.

- If you call us 303.732.3330 (Mon - Fri 10-2 Mountain) we will give you, or anyone else a free upgrade from Black Cobra CF-31 MK2 to MK4. This offer will be from now until April 14th, 2019. This is only until our stock lasts (only about 11 units at this price available as of this message) Otherwise call us for the normal upgrade pricing after this date or once our current stock is sold out.

- Some other reason our units are more expensive: 3 Year Warranty, Great sales / tech support before and after the sale (Keep in mind this is our full-time business, not an eBay hobby)
    , our detailed refurbishing process, the hardware upgrades we make and so on... We add value in many ways that our customers do appreciate.

Thanks again!

TechTough

6. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!

TechTough, If I can scratch the money together quickly enough before the sale ends or stock goes out, I am sold!

I only ask about he process from a durability standpoint. Powder coating (if done right, and yours I am sure would be) leaves a rock hard coating like Panasonic's OEM paint (or whatever it is) application. I have no issues painting a Toughbook, but doing it right is labor intensive. And it leaves one flaw.

On the painted palmrests, the oil from one's hands (and in my case other automotive shop chemicals) makes the paint get soft after a year or so. If your process is durable enough to prevent this, I don't really care what it is!

7. TechTough

Reputations:
    The outside lid etc.. will last as long as the original OEM on our units. We are quite careful and understand the steps necessary to ensure this. Which is why we are
    confident enough to give our units a 3 Year warranty (which many sellers do not offer on their refurbished Panasonic Toughbooks)

The palmrests on our Panasonic Toughbook CF-19, CF-30 and CF-31 are not painted, so you do not have to worry about any paint getting soft to body oils, etc...

Our palmrests are custom manufactured. I have attached a picture to show you more details so you have an idea...

Have a nice week!

Panasonic Toughbook CF-31 Black Cobra Palmrest.png

UNCNDL1 and toughasnails like this.
  8. TechTough

Reputations:
    Even our lid label is a sleek brushed aluminum label vs. the original Panasonic one that is just plastic

Aluminum lid label for Black Cobra Toughbook CF-31.png

toughasnails likes this.
  9. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, so it is $199 for the webcam kit, or $269 installed. GPS is $147 for the kit, but $99 installed. Crappy thing is my tax return happily covers any configuration I want. But my little VW just dragged a hole through its oil pan and is crying out for a new motor. LowLife sucks sometimes.

The missus doesn't ask too many questions about my toys. But if I have a UN-shiney new looking bad @$$ Toughbook and can't afford the engine, she probably will. This Toughbook is different enough that it won't go unnoticed.

I have cobbled together many a Toughbook. I really want one that is new-ish and un-cobbled this time though. But, if I am changing a motor out of my car, it isn't getting another crappy 2.0 like it has, I will stuff a VR6 into it. A VR6 swap will cost me about the same as the computer.... Ugh.