Lets talk about Techtuff / Techtough CF-31 Black Cobra, any user feedback?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, Mar 30, 2019.

1. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    First off lets get the big controversy out of the way. Yes, all black Toughbooks sitting in a police car cooking in the sun all day is a bad idea. I am not a cop or SWAT. Nor will this ever sit in a car in the sun all day.

I don't like the weird stuff glued to another Toughbook refurbishers units, but @techtuff techtough machines look NICE!!! Having painted my orange beastie, I appreciate the work that goes into doing this.

Does anyone else have any good points against blacked out Toughbooks?

You guys know I hate spending money on these machines. But sometimes one comes along that makes me consider parting with that hard earned cash. @techtuff Techtough might be that one for me.

My MacBook has been acting up lately and I am NOT buying a new Mac. Apple has pushed me (and many others) away with their new un-repairable and un-upgradable machines. But my Mac is well specked out, and I am not willing to loose the performance I am used to day in and out.

The right CF-31 just might be my next daily. But, back to the @techtuff Techtough machines.

Anyone know HOW they get them black? Nowhere does it say "powder coated" but I suspect that is what they do. They say their method doesn't "offgas harmful VOC." Not sure that matters to me as my job will kill me long before that would. But I don't like how the painted palmrests get soft paint after a while.

I REALLY LIKE their HD webcam. That is super slick. And I am easily capable of installing the kit in my own machine.

For that matter, I could also buy powder coating stuff and give a go at doing it myself and probably for less than their tacked on premium. But, they did do a good job from what I can see.

The only real deal killer is what spec machines they have available. I need to find a good list of generations vs processor and performance specs. Looks like MK3 are 2.8ghz, but MK5 are only 2.3ghz... Say huh? What gives there???

It kinda looks like I want a MK4. But I see some MK4 listed at 2.7ghz, and some at 2.9ghz with ATI. So confused...

It looks like to get as much horsepower as possible, I will probably build and configure it myself. And might even end up shelling out more than @techtuff tech tough sells theirs for. But I would love to hear more about these guys.

I have bough some small things from them in the past, like a special. larger, CF-19 GPS cover. That was WELL made!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2019
  2. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Concerning black color, I have to say that many much less rugged laptops come in black, and people buy them! And leave them in hot cars! Personally, I miss "boring beige". It didn't show dust as badly either. That said, no dust settles on my ToughBook.

I have long admired the looks of OSX and currently MacOS. I had a MacBook, and still have a Mac Mini, but find that the software I use most often is very expensive for Macs, and I get aggravated that little things are harder to do with Macs because of Apple locking down the OS so badly. My compromise is that I have set up my ToughBook to look like MacOS. I even found the dynamic wallpaper that changes with the time of day. The one and only software that is not so great in Linux is GPS software, but honestly, I have GPS in my car and in my phone, so getting GPS to work in Linux is more of an intellectual (or lack thereof) exercise.

3. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    The looks is the smallest part of it to me. I like how Apple has everything so nicely integrated. I can be looking at a page on my MacBook and go take an office break, pick up my iPad and open the page. Or go to work and need to look up something I was checking at home on computer or iPad, and pull it up.

My phone rings in the other room, I can answer it on my mac.

The list goes on. Apple has done an amazing job of integration. Seemless too. Sure there is some of that with Android, but nowhere to the same level of ease.

Linux alone is awesome! When it first started to have decent GUI, the graphics, look, and desktops avalible just blew me away. By itself without trying to look like Windows or OSX, it is just pretty and pleasant to the eyes.

4. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Alright, I keep going back to the CF-31. I have a CF-19 being borrowed and most likely sold. If it sells, I am getting a CF-31.

Edit: moved part of post....

I am not going to limit myself to the Black Cobra Edition. Price versus performance doesn’t make too much sense. I would rather pay the same price for a Cobra Edition, and get more performance. I can put the webcam in myself.

Any ideas as to how they blacked it out??? I would love validation that it is powder coated. Or not.

But I have a couple ideas to pursue. I have one that would be much cooler, if I can pull it off.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Well there is one way to find out. Give him a shout . @techtuff Actually I already did for you. My guess he will check your thread out in a few days. I also fixed his name in the title and in your first post . TechTough to @techtuff , his user name on here

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    custom90gt and katalin_2003 like this.
  6. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Cool thank you!!!

Yeah I have bought a few small things from him over the years and I will say the quality has always been top notch! As of yet I haven’t gotten a full on computer though.

7. towelie

towelie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    Some FUNNY stuff in them comments!

Well it turns out my new neighbor across the street is a serious IT and Linux guru with experience hachintoshing and also modding linux. And he has an overheating van. I smell a trade, or maybe just overheated coolant...

I need to delve into what it actually takes to mackintosh a computer to begin with....

Anyways staring at eBay trying to figure out what my I need to order next.

9. thewanderlustking

Reputations:

Hummmmmm so tempting. Also turns out that Shawn has done this before!

Toughbook OSX

And I just happen to have a 2011 MacBook Pro sitting in a bag... It has a bad motherboard, but lots of other good components like Wireless and Bluetooth. I wonder if it is usable....

10. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations: