Let's share upcoming upgrade plans for the M15x beast :)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by King of Interns, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    The x-bracket on the R9-m290x is wider, as in bigger square , on your 5730 x-bracket , the x-bracket is a smaller square. It won't work on the swap. fyi , don't damage the r9-m290x.

2. masterlink2002

masterlink2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ok. thank you for the heads up. so I'll have to take my dremel to the mount posts to make it fit tightly. I can live with that I'll probably hunt down a spare xbracket so i don't **** this one up. I also have a spare nvidia xbracket if it lines up i may look a messing with that instead off fing up the r9 bracket but only if it is the same size. its from my old 260m that toasted

3. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Use a metal file instead of a Dremel. The metal used for the x-brackets files down easily. With a Dremel, you run the risk of filing down too much. Use a Vernier caliper and measure the height of the 260M's x-bracket posts (should be round 3.5-4mm) and slowly file down the new x-brackets posts to reach that height. Use some low-grit sandpaper at the end to smooth out the surface and blow out any metal shavings that may be left inside the threaded screw posts. Make sure the black insulating material is not damaged. Also, I recommend doing the filing with the x-bracket removed from the card for obvious reasons. Heat up the double sided tape with a hair dryer and slowly and carefully pry it off. Do not use a high power heat gun or you run the risk of melting some solder points on the card.

No other Nvidia bracket will work properly. The holes will line up but the brackets have different shapes to route around components on the pcb. If you use the wrong bracket, the bracket will surely be pressing down on some components. The R9 uses a different bracket exclusive to AMD cards from the 6900/7900 series.

Btw, not sure if you know this but native fan control will not work with the R9 on the M15X. You're going to have to use HWinfo to control the fans.

4. masterlink2002

Reputations:
    thank you for the info. I'm planning to make the fan run at max most of the time to keep it running properly. I'm going to test it out in my aw 17 first tho and make sure the card works proper before i try it in the m15x. The guy i bought it from told me that he wasn't sure it worked cause his laptop died. probably does and for 200 cad with a money back guarantee i can say that I'm not going to complain about the extra work. its gonna be awesome if i can get my wifes system running nicely

Rengsey R. H. Jr. likes this.
  5. masterlink2002

Reputations:
    is anyone else having problems getting display port on the M15x to work properly? I have a d port to hdmi adapter but still won't recognize external monitor

6. masterlink2002

Reputations:
    hey guys i didn't need to grind down the xbracket at all i had to change the screws i'm using hardrive screws that fit the thread and there is actually about 0.003" of clearance so the upper mount is pulled down tight. i'll let you guys know how things progress currently working on the swap

7. masterlink2002

Reputations:
    moment of truth and she doesn't turn on she lights up keyboard and all that but the caps num and scroll lights are all flashing together. hope i didn't brick this machine. pulling cmos battery for 10 min and i'll update

8. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1019-alienware-m15x-m17x-led-error-codes/

Try re-seating the video card. You may want to re-seat the RAM too. Make sure the thermal paste is spreading well over the GPU die. If your original graphics card works fine, then it may be a problem with the new one. Also make sure you are on BIOS A09.

9. Gofspar

Gofspar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    gg dead card

10. masterlink2002

Reputations:
    ****ty well i'll test it in my main machine just to make sure. BTW anyone know if the r9290x will fit in my aw17 straight swap? I'm going from an 880m just to test it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.