Let's figure out how to make a DIY eGPU (previously DIY ViDock)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by moral hazard, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_flying_shoe

the_flying_shoe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What an excellent thread, this looks incredibly promising.

2. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    you can't just stick a 4890 in there. you don't have the bandwidth available that such a card needs.

edit: you could, but it won't perform any better than about a 4650.

who is this for? netbooks with pci-e slots i guess?

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It's all in size too. If size isn't of concern, a conventional PSU will do. And even an older one will be fine with a 4-pin to 6-pin power adapter, or if the card doesn't require extra power at all!

Exactly. You have to reasonable. The ExpressCard slot only has so much bandwidth. It'd be good to know what the "max" card would be for this though, based on bandwidth.

4. predatorramboxxx

predatorramboxxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah true there are some standalone cards that dont require external psu source

5. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    If I was going to do this I would get a cheap MATX or small mini tower computer case and run an extension cable out that goes to the laptops pci-e slot.

This would give you a good looking case without the trouble/time of building one and it would readily hold the power supply and video card pretty easy. It would basically be a stripped out computer since you dont need the cpu/mobo/ram etc you would be using the laptops.

But you could also toss some hdd's in there too and make it a full fledged laptop dock type deal.

6. MexicanSnake

MexicanSnake I'm back!

Reputations:
    For example, transfer rates cant be any faster than the memory clocks of its components.

We have for example the HD4890 with a Memory Clock: 950 MHz (3.9Gbps) the HD4870 (3.6Gbps), people remember that express cards can handle up to 2.5Gbps, but since ATI worked to simplify the transfer rates on their cards this might end up being possible, but I guess that using an HD4890 for the current hardware would be an overkill. In my humble opinion I think that an HD4830 or even the HD4850 could be handled, in fact the memory clocks of GDDR5 are in theory more than big for an express card port.

7. xxbadboys93

xxbadboys93 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We need some volunteers. Iam sure you guys got a extra cheap gpu laying around. What about fitting in a agp gpu card. The bandwith is less but you need an adapter.

8. xxbadboys93

xxbadboys93 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Don't forget that ViDock is based on the same technology and they promised ViDock 3 and 4 ;)

That's really great idea :D

10. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    wait a second. holy moly the expresscard has more bandwidth than i thought. 2.5Gb/s is a lot more than i thought it had. that is plenty for a desktop ati 4850, for example.

dang.

i might have to look into this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.