Let's figure out how to make a DIY eGPU (previously DIY ViDock)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by moral hazard, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrX

FrX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's exactly what you will need (Driver maybe as well?) + ATI Card (more likley)

2. b1indsp0t

b1indsp0t Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ill be keeping a close eye on this thread in that case, youve just got to look at the x3100 thread to see how many people want this.

Props and rep to the OP

3. FrX

FrX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    lol b1indsp0t , I am almost looking at it since 2007 ,but recently start participating in that thread

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Awesome thread! :D :D I must spread some rep, before giving it to moral hazard again :D MexicanSnake is repped :D You guys rock :D

5. b1indsp0t

b1indsp0t Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    tbh by the time we get an extra 10fps out of that POS i hope to be playing Arma2 on high settings :)

6. MexicanSnake

MexicanSnake I'm back!

Reputations:
    I was thinking this morning... This should work OTB (Well just plugged to your laptop) Since all what you do is simple: replicate a port, for example, you can replicate a port when you use and SD card to USB and the laptop will recognize the SD card, when you use an express card to pcmcia and so on.

Basically you will have a Pci express X16 port capable of reading cards and interacting with your system like any desktop out there, no drivers needed btw, also I dont think that the vidock uses drivers.

7. MexicanSnake

MexicanSnake I'm back!

Reputations:
    Exactly!, you plug your card, the pc recognizes your card, you install the drivers, you select the card and finally you drive it to an external monitor. Well people, at least IN THEORY this should work just fine.

8. mikespit1

mikespit1 Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    How are you guys planning to get around the power supply issue? I can't seem to find any smallish external PSUs on Newegg, but not finding any. What about some sort of HDD or network drive enclosure? Some of those seem to have smallish ~30W power supplies that might fit some midrange cards.

9. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You just need a regular psu, doesnt need to be external, get one for/from a matx case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338009

10. MexicanSnake

MexicanSnake I'm back!

Reputations:

In fact, this would take several midrange cards at stock, for example:

The unit uses 12V at 5A, thats 60W I guess like "a normal" pci express x16, if you plan to use a bigger card you could simply use a computer PSU say 400W, you plug that on the external power located at the right upper part of the card, that should feed normally the bigger card, or at least this seems the way that normal pcs do for feeding big GFX cards.

Im gonna study the pci express specifications and then Ill reply back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.