Let's figure out how to make a DIY eGPU (previously DIY ViDock)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by moral hazard, Jul 9, 2009.

1. twwyt

twwyt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This will not work.. It does not have PCIe Lanes going to the express-card slot and no USB3.0 to PCIe chipset on board... only works with usb based expresscards such as WWAN cards etc.

expresscard has no USB3.0 connection so the use of USB3.0 interface is interesting particularly since you can see that the only the signals for USB2.0 are actually connected on the board..

2. decayed.cell

decayed.cell Newbie

Reputations:
    Just tried it last night. Works well!

3. briandress

briandress Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone!

I just stumbled upon this thread and have gotten really excited about the prospect of applying an external gpu to my notebook instead of purchasing a desktop for gaming.

I currently have an ASUS k53e with the i5 Sandybridge processor. I cant seem to figure out if i have an open mPCIe slot....anyone have any experience using one of these machines for the project?

Thanks in advance!

4. pcmcgary452

pcmcgary452 Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings.

Has anyone got this working on a HP Pavilion DV6000 series laptop?

I've had the PE4H & EC2C unit for a few years now but have never managed to get it working.

I recently found a "cracked" BIOS for this laptop, and while it removed the wireless card whitelist, it's still having a problem with resource allocation under Win7 for the external Nvidia 260GTX video card.

The card is detected, but it keeps disappearing/re-appearing in device manager. It seems to be detected under Linux but I haven't tried it with xinerama yet, so no idea if it's actually working.

5. Ronke01

Ronke01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey ViciousXUSMC, do you still own your W90?
    Do you think this laptop might benefit from an eGPU 5,5 years after that post? :D

6. Marcus7777777

Marcus7777777 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking for some help here. With the recent release of the Intel thunderbolt cable i want to know if I am able to connect my Surface pro 3 to a thunderbolt cable via the mini display port using an adapter and then connect the thunderbolt to a eGPU, will this work?

I understand there will be some bottleneck because of the adapter but I would like to know if this setup will work

Any replies are appreciated and direct messages

7. pauliunas

pauliunas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, Surface Pro 3 doesn't support thunderbolt.

8. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's been almost 8 years since this thread was started, seems like it hasn't really taken off commercially?

9. Smurfi91

Smurfi91 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I was wondering, if I have a mobo, GPU and PSU laying around could I build myself a eGPU dock from these parts with minimal additional requirements? Like below $10...