Let's figure out how to make a DIY eGPU (previously DIY ViDock)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by moral hazard, Jul 9, 2009.

1. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You know what's interesting, I have the same problem as you have (I also have the PE4H + PM3N) but I'm using a different notebook and also a desktop ati 4850.

Anyway I haven't figured out the problem, but I have no real need to figure it out since I have a 7970M in my notebook. But if you want to find the fix, please read the first post of this thread again and follow the link to the updated thread and ask there.

2. wassupdude33`

wassupdude33` Newbie

Reputations:
    Im not that good with computers but, are you saying that if i want to use the PCI-E way, how does it work (sorry it probably is in the post i just dont understand), and if i don't own a PCi-E can i use a usb3.0 to PCIE convertor then from that pcie to the vidock? (also do i need that adaptor for the PCIE?

3. Mercutio98uk

Mercutio98uk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't quite see who you are replying to here (if anyone) and this is your first post so it's not part of an ongoing conversation. I'll assume you are rather confused by what's being discussed here.

The PCI-e bridge allows us to plug in a normal desktop GPU/video card externally. This allows the use of an external GPU in quite a few places we wouldn't be able to use one previously (mainly a laptop).
    I wouldn't want to try and use a USB3 to PCIe adapter if one existed, the bandwidth available wouldn't be very good at all.

If you simply want to plug in a display via USB3 there's a few adapters around for that (though don't expect anything beyond basic 2D/windows display). If you want to add a decent GPU to your PC/laptop forget USB3, it's too much of a bottleneck.

The ideas being put around on the thread aren't really all that "plug and play". If thunderbolt or external PCIe takes off it will make things a lot simpler so it might be worth keeping an eye on developments in that direction. Have a read of the earlier posts in the thread, it explains the setup(s) fairly well and what can/can't be done.

4. cruisx

cruisx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. dagazette93

dagazette93 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea it would work. I found another one that actually has a casing on it. EC03 (ExpressCard 2.0 to USB 3.0)
    But the thing with these adapters is that you still get the same bandwidth of a USB 3.0 which is 5gb/s on 1 lane. (Total 10gb/s) Even so, you wouldn't be able to use it properly like an express card slot. If you're just using it for other purposes other than eGPU, yea sure that works fine.

6. godman1989

godman1989 Newbie

Reputations:
    Could anybody explain me exactly how to solder this ribbon into a Mini PCI-e connector?
    1.jpg ad4490040cdc2914ab74a6a730e5a1b0.jpg
    I want to cut off PCI Express x1 connector plate and solder it exactly to Mini PCI-e connector board.

I would like to ask you about PCI Exprexx x1 Pinout ---- > Mini PCI-e Pinout connection skipping x1 slot.

7. carage

carage Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. alfonso

alfonso Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I want to do a eGPU for my Lenovo X220 laptop (i5 2.3 GHz 8Gb RAM). After reading long time this thread I think that I understood how to do it, but because I am not an expert at all I am going to expose my plan, so please let me know if I am wrong:

Material:

- My laptop, i cores 2nd generation with intel HD3000, express card slot.

- Graphic card nvidia GTS 450, that drains 106 W maximum and require one 6-pin extra connection.

- Module PE4H v3.2-EC060 packed together with two VGA power cable from Htools.
    These cables I assume can be pluged on the 6 pin connectors that some graphic cards need.
    This module looks to have two docks to connec the 6-pin cables from the module to the card, instead of from the source to the card, am I right?

- 120W 19.5 V AC adapt also from htools, that should provide enough juice for the nvidia GTS 450.

Ensambling:

- I plug the graphic card on the slot.

- I connect one of the VGA power cables from the card to one of the docks of the module. First problem, to wich one? it matters or they supply the same energy both of them?

- I connect the AC adapt to the module.

- I connect the module to my secondary screen. My "screen " it will be a projector, will it works?

- I turn on on my laptop and once on I insert the PCI express card in the slot of my laptop. The optimus technology of the card should allow me to work straight forward.

My main concern is about the 6 pin docks in the module, anyone that had use this module can tell me if I am right thinking that I can conncte the 6pin from the card to the module and just connecte the 120W Ac adaptor to the power up the full system?

Thanks,

Alfonso

9. chanzu

chanzu Newbie

Reputations:
    anybody tried this product?

10. Svane

Svane Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi you guys

Sorry if this aleady has been sorted out, but I have to ask: Is the Asus U36S possible to make an e-gpu solution for?

Its the version with i7 2620M cpu, 8gb ram, 520m gpu + 3000HD integrated. I like this little gem, and want to upgrade to both SSD and e-gpu if possible.

It ran the BF4 beta on low settings with the standart setup, but a little more details would be nice ;)

So is this setup usable in a e-gpu setup? I really hope so because its too cold to mess with my motocycle so I need something else to occupy the mind :)

Niels