Let's figure out how to make a DIY eGPU (previously DIY ViDock)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by moral hazard, Jul 9, 2009.

1. sylcat

sylcat Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks very much for the reply. Would ViDock be able to work with the ep121 eee Slate by Asus perhaps in a similar way, routing the graphics back to the screen without an external monitor? I've been thinking of picking one of those up and I suspect it would have more modern capability, just again, no true 3d card like I need.

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Have you checked prices of notebooks recently, then checked what a ViDock3/4 costs? Those guys are dreaming if they think their enclosure is worth the asking price. The DIY eGPU components are much more reasonable. It would be entirely possible to get all the gear for a DIY eGPU for $150.

If your 8400 is no longer working then the only solution is to use XP drivers, whether that is in XP or Win7. The reason is the XP drivers do not depend on the primary video card working. The Win7 ones do. As for Vista I'd skip it altogether. It doesn't support video cards from different vendors. It too might work with XP drivers but I've never tried it so you are welcome to prove/disprove it.

Only other issue for you is your system can't do x1.Opt, so you'd need an external LCD to extract best performance.

If it was my system, I'd try to back the 1720's 8400 back to life and offload the system, getting a cheap Sandy Bridge notebook with an expresscard slot (Vostro 3550/3750, Probook 4530s/4730s, Lenovo E520) and implementation a x1.2Opt GTX460@x1.2Opt DIY eGPU.

3. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    imo for that kind of work an external digitalizer is a LOT better. you really should get a powerfull notebook with an external wacom digitalizer. somethign like a clevo P150EM.

4. sylcat

sylcat Newbie

Reputations:
    I prefer on screen. :3 Just looking to find out if it's possible with the ep121.

5. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    get a fujitsu t902

6. sylcat

sylcat Newbie

Reputations:
    I suppose I should be more clear. I'm dealing with 30 million polygons on screen at once sometimes., Moreover using Mudbox 2012, which requires an nvidia or radeon card to operate.

What you've suggested costs $2000 and uses intel hd graphics 4000

7. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    prices can be much lower if you search around.
    get a T901(2) + egpu setup. there's already several working examples here on the forum.

8. sylcat

sylcat Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if I'm interested in building an egpu from scratch because if I understand right it would take hauling a big power-supply around whereas a vidock powers itself with an ac adapter, no?

Still, if it works I'll consider it!

But the question I still need answered is: "Can external gfx card solutions (vidock/egpu) be used without an external monitor? More bluntly put, will plugging a geforce/radeon card into a tablet/slate (t901 or ep121) via vidock/egpu make that standalone device use said geforce/radeon card as its new graphics device, display drivers and all, yes or no?

I'd like to know that for t901 and the ep121. If they made a pressure sensitive tablet/slate with a mobile nvidia/radeon 3d card I wouldn't be researching this. ;)

9. dummyaccount

dummyaccount Newbie

Reputations:
    So I finally read this thread through (yeah I actually read all 182 pages...), and most of it is just an offtopic. There are only 10 pages or so about actually building DIY eGPU adapter.
    I am building one on my own an I have few questions. I want to build it as simple as possible, so can I just use V3.3 rail directly from ATX PSU? Can it feed graphics card directly?
    Also - here is picture of pe4l 2.1b
    http://www.hwtools.net/jpg/PE4L-EC060A V2.1b.jpg
    What is the jumper in right bottom corner for?
    In case I decide to add USB connector, what is the "F1" element just above USB? There was just a capacitor in previous versions, but since 2.1b it is F1 - what it is?

Thank you all for this great stuff.

10. GigaCannons

GigaCannons Newbie

Reputations:
    hello all. Just joined because i am having a problem with my eGPU setup. I am on a Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM using PM3N in my wireless card port connected to a PE4H. The graphics card I am using is a GeForce 650 Ti and the power supply is a 200 watt power supply. My graphics card is not displayed in my device manager and I cannot Install the drivers untill my computer recognizes my card. will i need to use a setup 1.x? if so how would I go about setting it up? BTW, I have tried pugging my mini-HDMI cable into all four connectors on the PE4H. Please help!