Let's figure out how to make a DIY eGPU (previously DIY ViDock)

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by moral hazard, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Suggest read the Pre-purchase FAQ item 6. (Performance) Can my system do a PE4H x2 or x4 link as shown in PCIe Scaling Analysis?

2. Ashiun

Ashiun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My laptop schematics are giving me headache lol, I can't understand it at all. It is an MSi GT627-216US, which follows the GX620 motherboard (1651), and I read somewhere around here that it IS able to pull off x2 Link. I'm not really sure about how to go about it though.

3. Ashiun

Ashiun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I cannot seem to set up x2 on my MSi GT627-216US laptop. If anybody has this setup with this laptop, or knows where mPCI-e slot #3 is on the motherboard, please let me know.

4. AMATX

AMATX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all - I tried using a PSU out of an old mothballed desktop pc and it wouldn't power on. After checking around a bit, it appears these PSUs require some sort of 'power up' message to come from the motherboard.

Since I want to use the PSU standalone, connected only to my video card via 6 & 8 pin connectors, how to I get it to turn on?

Or, is there some brand/model of PSU that I should be specifically using?

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Answered in your other thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...o-card-external-power-supply.html#post8280927

6. AMATX

AMATX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^ Got it. Mucho thanks.

7. zplizzi

zplizzi Newbie

Reputations:
    Just curious, has anyone on here tried the second method outlined in the original post - making the dock out of $20 of parts, plus lots of blood, sweat, and tears? I've got all the parts and am considering it - but advice would be great - flipping back through 200 pages for reports is kinda hard, but I've not seen anyone else try it so far.

This would mean soldering wires from a blank mini PCI-e card to a full PCI-e riser card, and wiring a power supply in there somewhere too. However, I'm unsure of the schematics - they seem to conflict with what I've seen elsewhere.

Thanks - experience beats guesswork any day!

8. sonny_mv

sonny_mv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Done a self-made PE4L adapter, just PCIe to ExpressCard, here ;-)

Here the pin assignment, PSU unit must be similar to miniPCIe!

9. GoGosamzx

GoGosamzx Newbie

Reputations:
    i still havent bought a p4 there is still a lot question i need to ask and i really cant find answer in the fourm

i have a HP G60-230US

CPU:intel T4200 2.00GHz going yo upgrade to T4900 2.8
    Ram:3gb going to upgrade 4gb

GPU:4-series chipset intel 4500MD

what i understand is it is best that i use a nvida card

i have my eye set on MSI N450GTS-MD1GD3 GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3

my question are should i get a p4 or p4H

how much power would i need because i want to overclock and use the afterburner

what is the opt1.1 and 1.2

and how will my build will preforme

10. ujkman

ujkman Newbie

Reputations:
    I am new in this forum, so please do not upset with my question. I have searched this forum for any experience or issue with the F3SV and eGPU, but didn’t find any.

I have built an eGPU using guidance from your forum. I have used PE4H ver2.4 with EC2C and HD6540 graphic card to build this eGPU. Once I connected this eGPU to my ASUS f3sv laptop (and an external LCD monitor to the eGPU) it recognised by the laptop and asked me to install the graphic driver. After installing the driver I can see ATI HD6450 is active in the list of display adopter in the device manager with no error and no conflict with the resources allocation.

But when I try to select the 2nd display (via Windows Display Control Panel) to re-direct the display output to the external screen via the windows display property screen then the only screen is available is the laptop screen. Could someone please help me to resolve this issue.

My laptop spec is given below:

Model – Asus f3sv
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 / 2.2 GHz
    C2D T7500 2.2GHz, 800MHz, 4MB On-Die L2 Cache
    2 x 1GB DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM
    1GB NAND Turbo Memory
    15.4" WSXGA+ Colourshine
    nVidia Geforce Go 8600M G 256MB
    OS - Windows® 7 professional

I really appreciate for your help.

Thanks in advance.