Let's figure out how to convert internal MXM connector an external PCI-E x16 box

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by toshiki, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Stark03

Stark03 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone got any recent progress updates regarding the "adaptor" I happen to be local in Australia if you could send out a spare board... I also, conveniently have an alien ware 17r1 that needs a GPU refresh. @ShadowsNight

2. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have to say this idea is great and if you need an Alienware M18 R3 to test then im down.
    I also have a titan X sitting here that I could do some testing on.

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  4. oni222

oni222 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    You need optimus or an edp panel for new pascal cards

6. ShadowsNight

ShadowsNight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope so, this is the whole reason I started this crazy crusade :p

This is probably the case, at least using your internal display, my current test laptop does not have a screen and works with and without Optimus enabled. I'm hoping to have my end product have the ability to have the display work plugged into the desktop GPU, but it's looking like it will end up as an accessory. Since the cost would be too high for a standard kit and most people have the option of Optimus and wont mind the small performance drop. and those that do have a problem can afford the accessory.

Good news I'm still moving house but I have a work space! I currently have Alienware M18x R1, M17x (not sure the revision, I can't remember and need to boot it to check, service tag has rubbed off), and 2 Alienware 17 R1's, I'm doing all my initial testing with the 17's because if I fry one I still have another. I'm still chasing stable pci-e speeds faster than 2.5gt/s, I've had 8gt/s with 4 lanes but it was unstable with the boards I was using.

Edit: On the production side, I've been talking to a company that makes enterprise cables and connectors, and it looks like it will cost me $4700 AUD to set up production with them plus the units, but they have the highest cable density with the guarantee of all x16 pci-e lanes at 8gt/s and will test the unit at the factory and give me the spec sheets of what they are capable of, might even be able to get pci-e 4.0 if they don't change the MXM port :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017