Let's figure out how to convert internal MXM connector an external PCI-E x16 box

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by toshiki, Aug 9, 2009.

1. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good to know, thx bloodhawk.

Just so I understand, an optimus supporting laptop can take the output of an nVidia eGPU and display it on the internal screen?

2. ShadowsNight

ShadowsNight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, if it has optimus it should work, providing that the eGPU is new enough, Nvidia was 500+ from what I gather? I was using the laptops internal HDMI port for the test because the laptop won't boot without a monitor, I didn't get to test it with the GPU's HDMI before the faulty PSU fried the GPU :/ have a new one now, with a new PSU, just double checking all my wires before I test again, I noticed something odd with the graphics card that didn't match up with the PSU issue, not sure if it was broken before I got it though, the GPU was from a friend who had it lying around for ages and was going to throw it out.

EDIT: I've fixed it, it works windows recognizes it and HWinfo shows the clock speeds, haven't run benchmarks yet, will keep you posted :D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    ChanceJackson, remek002 and bloodhawk like this.
  3. remek002

remek002 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I am very interested in your progress and myself have plans to build an converter, but still a long way ahead of me...
    @ShadowsNight if you could take some pictures of your converter and share them?

4. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    I get that the following is kind of a divergence from this threads primary subject matter but it can only work with knowledge built up by this threads contributers and everything comes in phases and right now I'm in a very deep diveish phase lol

I have started thinking about the feasibility of getting a ribbon that goes from m.2(up to 4 lanes of pcie) and soldering the other end to an MXM female connector to allow for the use of an MXM-A type card in an Lenovo T540p as the next project to get into after I'm done with my HP Z-Book 15 which will leave me with an unused MXM-A k1100m that trounces the the 730m BGA of the lenovo

I'm thinking I could take the leftover Mxm-A Heatsink plate, solder/epoxy it to 2 small heatpipe heatsink fan combos I got from broken netbooks or 1 that I got from a t44p fit that over the k1100m and place it all in the 9.5mm DVD drive slot.

My only concern here is power delivery I doubt m.2 is designed to satisfy the power requirement of 55w TDP device so I was thinking I could augment that with the 5v of the ODD connector but I'm not sure how much wattage those are designed to do at max I know they can support laptop hard drives if in a conversion caddy but I haven't seen a laptop hard drive use more than 1A at 5v.

Why do any of this?
    Because I want to I guess and the idea of rendering games with the k1100m and using the 730m to do Physx amuses me for some reason and the laptop and all mentioned nvidia GPUs suppport Optimus so why not?

5. ShadowsNight

Reputations:
    @ChanceJackson you might need to look more into the total power for your laptop, if your power pack is only putting out 60-90 watts for eg. and then the laptop it self will have unknown rail limits, the MXM uses 12v,5v,3.3v. I'm not at home at the moment so I haven't looked at the laptop your talking about but it definitely sounds like fun :D I know nothing about the m.2 standard other than it's a monster paired with my gf's Samsung pro in her desktop XD

@remek002 I'm currently working on a product at the moment, but the files in my drop box work with a lil tweaking, all the info you need is in this forum :) I'll have pictures up later today, when I go home I'll be running more tests and even testing it on a different laptop if I get time. The one I've been using so far doesn't have a screen so I can't boot it without a monitor hooked up to the laptop, I haven't been able to see if I can boot off the card yet i just get the same 8 beeps from the laptop saying that there is monitor issue.

ChanceJackson likes this.
  6. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    Thanks, Didn't realize mxm used 12v

7. ShadowsNight

Reputations:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  8. ShadowsNight

Reputations:
    I've done some more tweaking have it working better, here is my DX11 Heaven Benchmark 4.0 results.

I'm only getting PCI-e 1.1 speeds at the moment, I've looked into it and found this:
    "The Gen3 specification requires a pre-validation of the link before any data transmission, and if the automatic equalization training cannot establish a reliable link, then it won’t allow the transmission of data at 8Gb/s speeds, resulting in slower than expected card-to-card as well as card-to-SBC data transfers within a typical system design." Quote taken from "https://www.trentonsystems.com/industry-applications/pci-express-interface"

My guess is that because of the way I've run the traces, and the the way I've patched up the cables it's not getting a good first impression and sticks to the PCI-e 1.x speeds. But, it is working :) I just need to save up for another prototype. I'm thinking of trying out a kickstarter after I get it all going smooth :)

Edit: Here are some 3Dmark scores:
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5594298
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17960254

I don't know why it's saying it's a Generic VGA card, the software reads it as a 750ti
    But it also say's "Time measurement data not available. The validity of the result cannot be determined." Sort of unsure how to go about fixing that, I've read the FAQ and can't see how anything I've done could effect it.

Update: Finally figured out the new 3DMark software, needed to download 3.7gig at 500Kb/s though.... here is result here. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18496711

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. remek002

remek002 Newbie

Reputations:
    If work only PCI-E 1.1 speeds, I do not see much sense to create Converter, because this is the same as eGPU.
    If it through the bad connection or interference, it would be good to check the oscilloscope.

10. ShadowsNight

Reputations:
    I don't have an oscilloscope, nor do I know how to use one :p would love to be able to use one though, I've seen a few videos where people use them and think it's cool how much more information you can get from them. I'm like 95% sure it's just my prototype that is the issue, I don't even think the 2x20 connectors I'm using are gold plated, none of my PCI-e lanes are length matched, I'm currently using unearthed aluminum foil as shielding for the cables and have no shielding for the lanes on the PCB's XD

I'm not sure what link speeds the other eGPU's run at, I say that because apparently it's hard to get a 8gh/z link to a separate board. But even they are 8gh/z, 16 lanes at 2.5gh/z is still slightly better than 4 lanes at 8gh/z and double that of 4 lanes at 5gh/z.

I am sure I can get what I have to run at at least 5gh/z, I'm going to make some better cables today and see if that helps, might even try shielding every pair individually.

But right now, it's looking like I'll need to draw up a new PCB and maybe some better connectors to get the better speeds, I'll keep playing with what I have but I've got to move house soon so I'm not sure how much money I'll have for this project.

Also another note, I've been meaning to post pictures but my phones camera is to strong XD file sizes are too big so I'm just going to make a drop box folder with them in it.