Let's figure out how to convert internal MXM connector an external PCI-E x16 box

Discussion in 'e-GPU (External Graphics) Discussion' started by toshiki, Aug 9, 2009.

1. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Damn. You guys got me all excited now. Any images or pictures you can post ?? :D

2. ShadowsNight

ShadowsNight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can post the parts I have, but the PCB's are still on the way :p I'll provably just wait and post when I make one up :)

bloodhawk likes this.
  3. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Sweet!

4. ShadowsNight

ShadowsNight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    soo cooked my test GPU with a faulty PSU :/ should have figured it was faulty, I pulled it out of a new computer that the mobo had died, then in a test computer a year back it fried the GPU in that.... but I've made 2 proto types so far, I haven't been able to test the second one due to not having a GPU compatible with it, I've tried it with a HD5670 and a HD5770 neither of them were recognised by bios or Windows, the 750ti sorta worked, bios saw it as a NVIDA GTX and I installed drivers and have a screenshot :) Untitled.png but that was with my first prototype, didn't get to test the second one which I should have sorted the issue I had with it

bloodhawk and long2905 like this.
  5. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there any way to back feed the DP signal coming out of a eGPU back into eDP laptops to be displayed on the laptop screen ala most modern dGPUs?

6. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    Not unless the laptop has a mux that allows switching between the dGPU and the iGPU. Or is wired up for Optimus/MSHybrid.

7. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    Assuming that was the case would an eDP motherboard and screen be able to use the DP signal coming out of an eGPU?

8. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    The signal is converted from PCIe through the PCH to the iGPU that routes it to eDP, afaik. That is why external GPU have even more of an overhead (even more than when they output directly to an external monitor) when using the internal display as the output.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  9. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    Other than certain manufacturers like Razer IIRC getting eGPU's to display to the internal monitor over Thunderbolt is it possible to accomplish this without their proprietary implementation?

10. bloodhawk

Reputations:
    There is no proprietary implementation about this. The overheads are because of signal conversions and need a mux/Optimus/MShybrid capabilities.
    Any sort of PCIe signal for the internal display will need to go through the PCH. Only thing that depends is what is the source, since a dedicated PCIe signal will be faster than a Thunderbolt one.