Let's Discuss 4k vs 1080p on a laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Luraundo, Oct 2, 2016.

1. NeonSun

NeonSun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think 4K on a laptop is ludicrous. I like large resolutions for desktop workspace (which is why I have two 3440x1440 ultrawide 34" LCD's for my desktop). But if I ran 4K on a 15" or 17" screen I'd have to run it like it was 1080p anyhow (double scale), so what's the point then? I'll take 144Hz / 1080p over 60Hz / 4k any day. In 17" systems, maybe even 15" systems, I'd much rather see a 2560x1440 resolution. It's more practical, and a resolution that current upper mid end to high end GPU's can drive without issue in games

James Logan and Phoenix like this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    My thought exactly. Very well said brother.

James Logan likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yikes! I won't use anything but 100% scaling because I think anything more than 100% (regardless of resolution) just looks way too ugly for me to be willing to put up with it. That's my subjective personal opinion (which we all have... like belly buttons...) on the matter. Try using your 4K laptop at 100% scaling for a while and tell us how you like it. Calling respected members of this community that have contributed so much of themselves for so long an egocentric and adding a /facepalm just makes that person look bad to those reading it.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can negate any value they might bring to a community by being nasty, caustic and seething with vitriol toward people that have a differing view. It's unfortunate that the moderators have to be baby sitters for that kind of spoiled child/immature adult. Less than 400 posts and 75 likes since 2009... kind of hard to understand the basis for such a display of disrespect.

The strong opinions are based on personal experiences and they are very accurate to those that hold them. YMMV with 4K is still applicable and could vary by operating system and applications one utilizes. While some may have been improved, it is unlikely that everything looks good. Plus, not everyone is willing to stoop to using Windows 10 and UWP filth only for the sake of progress made on 4K scaling in the limited areas where Micro$loth has focused their efforts. The progress isn't necessarily all that compelling, depending on one's perspective.

I think it is still pretty excellent advice that nobody should buy a system with a 4K display based on another person's recommendation because whether it is good or bad truly is subjective. Buying it because some like it is not very intelligent, and I think the smartest folks in our community (which includes you) would agree with that.

It really does not matter what kind of experience the advocate of 4K has with it because beauty is 100% in the eye of the beholder, and one man's trash can be another man's treasure. Anyone considering a 4K laptop display really need to spend some time with one, doing a wide variety of tasks with it, if they want to avoid the possibility of risk for major disappointment and buyer's remorse.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    bennyg, jclausius and Phoenix like this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    100% Agree with you bro!

James Logan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Noted. I've now locked my profile as tight as a dolphin's butt--since that's the only way to prevent people from blatantly digging up details on me; and fox/phoenix have already demonstrated it's en-vogue.

---

The issue is still the dearth of UHD on the high end...especially at 15". I've been saying this whole time that a 1070gtx & UHD screen in a 15" should be an OPTION. Unfortunately, in most cases, it's simply not--or at least it wasn't in January 2017 when it was Clevo or Gigabyte (nothing else). That's entirely unacceptable. Which makes all the UHD hating even more silly--because it's not like UHD is the mainstream; it figuratively requires pulling of teeth to even have the option.

So yes, it's QUITE personal to me. Because each and every "White knight" who comes in here to defend the industry and it's decade-long downgrade of 1080p as more than sufficient for any laptop offering--is (to my purview) a luddite. I'm tired of it. No, WAY beyond tired of it. I'm livid.

My job precludes desktop solutions. My eyes preclude 1080p. Stop encouraging the industry to rob me of the choice.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I respect your right to have a different preference. I am not sure why you would think otherwise. Having options is a good thing. I know what the lack of options feels like, because there is only one model of laptop left that I would ever consider purchasing. Yup, just one. And, that's a shameful state for the industry. The industry is going to do whatever they think makes them the most money. Whether that is something good or something crappy makes no difference to them. They don't give a rat's ass what any of us actually want; but, they do try to manipulate consumers into believing that whatever they want to make the most money on is awesome and best for everyone. That's just how they roll.

What we are encouraging people to do it not spend any money on something just because the idea is popular with their friends on Facebook and the "professional reviewers" (shills). They need to know if it works for them and if they can actually expect to be happy with what they buy to avoid disappointment. 4K doesn't work for everyone, just like big, heavy and extra-powerful DTRs do not work for everyone.

FYI - I never visited your profile, and I don't remember ever seeing any of your posts before today. The "details" are on the left side of the thread, next to each post and under your user name.

upload_2018-2-12_19-24-33.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Phoenix and James Logan like this.
  7. akis

akis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Many people have come up with strong statements like "4K on 17" is silly" or "4K is way much nicer than 1080" etc.

Once I was in a very dark room trying to debug an application running unfortunately on a half-broken CRT screen which was flickering/ would not sync properly so I could read only a small part of the screen and only for very little time before it would flicker away. After I spent some time in front of that screen I opened the door and exited the dark room and walked into a well lit room where people were working on their computers. Instantly I noticed that everyone's screens were all broken because I could the frames flickering on their screens! It took a few minutes for my eyes/brain to adjust to this new reality.

Many other times I have realised I cannot hear at all high pitch sounds that younger people can clearly hear and even complain about.

I think therefore that there may be some people that will get annoyed/headaches when looking at some resolution or refresh rate and others that will not even notice it. It's just preference.

bennyg likes this.
  8. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got a 4K 15.6" display I could never go back down to any lower resolution, especially for gaming. The level of detail increase is extraoridary over 1080p. Even when I can't get high enough fps for vsync it's still worth it.

Desktop scaling is a bit problematic though. While I can visually see text fine at 100% scaling, it's so small that it takes a while for my brain to focus on the text and process it, so I typically run 150% scaling.

Linux is awful at scaling and I need to lower the screen res to 3K.

With that said I don't think 4K at 15.6" is ideal for most people. 2.5K or 3K would be better options considering how good my eyesight is, scaling problems, and most people not gaming on a GTX 1080.

1080p is trash though and it should die a fiery death. We need more intermediate resolution displays at 2.5K and 3K.

9. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can agree with this. ^ The issue is still that 3k will never be a widespread, mainstream solution. I may not be able to see much difference between 3k and 4k on a 15.6", but I can definitely see the difference between 1080p and 3k on a 15.6". So unless the industry is going to make 3k a standard (they won't)--then 4k options are what makes sense, and the MFG might as well get on board with offering it while the software programmers get on board with scaling to it.

p.s.
    A DECADE ago, all I really wanted was WQXGA on a 15" (Ironically, which is still a tick below 3k). I still think that's probably the ideal for the form factor...but the industry went full derp.

10. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I just want my 1920 x 1200P back :( or 16:10 resolutions in general