]]>

Let's Discuss 4k vs 1080p on a laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Luraundo, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    To each his own, my eyes can easily detect ANY blurriness and I cannot live with ANY, sorry.

Try this:
    1) CTRL + R
    2) services.msc
    3) look at how blurry the text is, it's super duper sharp without DPI scaling
    4) go to computer management > Disk management, same crap

these are freakin' Windows built in stuff that do not scale properly

But hey, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Not for me

2. HaloTechnology

HaloTechnology Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This has been kinda fixed the in new fall creator update !

Just FYI even in 1080 on a 17" dispaly you need 125% scaling either way so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    It has been claimed to have been fixed in FCU, it hasn't. Tested it myself

With a 17 inch you don't need any DPI scaling, heck I was able to run a QHD display on my previous 17 inch Clevo P870DM3 and didn't need any scaling. It takes a while for your eyes to adjust then it become fine but with an FHD display on a 17 inch screen if you need scaling, then you need to have your eyes checked (no pun intended)

4. HaloTechnology

Reputations:
    I don't 17 on 1080 without scaling is doable though I still think UI is small I guess you can get used to it either way .... I think we have to make the jump to scaling either way maybe not not now but it's coming very soon .

Apps are becoming more DPI aware recently hopefully it continues...

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Well there is a fix for this, although it's a PITA

1) Right click on the EXE of the app that isn't scaling well and go to properties > compatibility tab
    2) Enable the Override high DPI scaling behaviour scaling
    3) Set it to system or system enhanced

That should fix the problem for that app that isn't scaling well.

A good example you can try, if you run VLC, it sucks with DPI scaling, the media control buttons would be small, on a 4K screen with any type of scaling, they'd look tiny. If you do the above trick, VLC would scale properly.

But it's just so tedious to do this for all the apps that don't scale well they are many.

Vistar Shook and James Logan like this.
  6. HaloTechnology

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info I am very familiar with this.
    The only app right now that gave trouble is potplayer ( I don't like vlc) the app scale fine but the skin is not hidpi so it's small :( I tried to find online but nothing .

Also it was so hard to find a cursor set that is hi DPI .
    But this problem fixed I am fine with it browsing the internet is just a joy man 4k browsing is just awesome the text is so detailed.

bennyg likes this.
  7. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

I use 150% to 175% scaling on a 15" monitor with 4k. So yeah, I can see better than you. 4k > any 1080p.

Scaling is a legacy issue. Just like x86 programs were a legacy issue. That's fine. But don't insinuate that the market should entirely ignore progress like 4k displays just because legacy software hasn't gotten the memo and upgraded their stuff. In fact, HAVING to cater to 4k scaling might actually kick some legacy in the butt and make it compliant.

I agree with bennyg. Make your own informed choices. What peeves me though, is people who believe that even having the OPTION is pointless. I am most emphatically one of the people who does see and enjoy the difference--and on a 15" no less. Again, maybe I can't see the difference between 3k and 4k on a 15", but I sure as **** can see the difference between 1080p and 3k on a 15". And since 3k isn't going to be mainstream (and WQXGA isn't going to be either) I insist on having 4k options on my 15" laptops.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
    alexhawker likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    I stopped reading after your first comment. you deserve no respect for your rudeness and avoiding the curse word filter is against the forum rules. [​IMG]

For a person that has been registered since 2009, you ought to have some etiquette and now how to play by the forum rules.

Use what suits you, no one is forcing you to agree with my opinion which many others agree to as well. I stated what suits me, 4K is garbage on a 17.3 inch screen or less. Period.

See ya

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Vistar Shook and James Logan like this.
  9. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    (edit: Phoenix says the ignore list comment was a mistake so my response is therefore no longer relevant)

But, I do criticise his opinion about blurriness, I followed his instruction list and saw nothing but sharp text in services.msc, diskmgmt.msc, or any other Windows system dialog which he insisted would be blurry.

Moral of the story, if you state a strong opinion you better be sure you continually update it according to a changing factual landscape, or you risk being wrong by the passage of time.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 8:24 PM
  10. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    To bring in a third party perspective...

There must be some people that do not have an issue with the small sizing, no bluriness on scaling, or are willing to live with the sizing and/or bluriness issues. However, if there wasn't a market or desire for this panel, then it wouldn't be offered by the vendors or resellers.

That's the beauty of laptops like this, there's an option for everyone. Diffr'nt strokes for diffr'nt folks... Which I believe is what the old "Matrix Leader", benny and imperfectdarkness have all said. However, there's no need to become insulting or spout superiority of one view over the other.

Mr. Fox likes this.