Let's Discuss 4k vs 1080p on a laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Luraundo, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is probably because smartphones and tablets gained priority over notebooks and for a lot of people who use computers for web browsing, etc., most smartphones were already powerful enough a while ago.
    The focus these days appears to be on highly mobile technologies, so screen quality and resolutions are mostly seen there... whereas in laptops... not so much... plus it doesn't help that the main manufacturer of LCD panels predominantly still makes 768/720p resolutions panels.
    For other people, notebooks are becoming main computers much like desktops are.
    As the hardware improves, more and more people will probably be shuffling their workload to their tablets and phones... we see people doing this already - so there's a greater market for improving those kinds of screens/panels as opposed to ones found in laptops.

4k in a laptop should be doable if scaling is implemented correctly.
    Like on smartphones, the higher resolution might improve overall image quality... but in terms of user interface space gain, this would be more useful on large screens (plus, you would want to be able to READ what's what/where and avoid letters from being too small).

Also, a lot of websites are designed around 768/720p, and facebook for example loses a lot of space on the left and right with 1080p (at least it does for those of us who use Adblock).

2. James Logan

James Logan Newbie

Reputations:

This is the best comment I have read in the last 2 years. Absolutely on point! Very well said.

3. inperfectdarkness

inperfectdarkness Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And this is why the industry keeps trucking along with FHD trash screens. SMH.

4. James Logan

James Logan Newbie

Reputations:
    Check out the links below:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Ultra Male and ellalan like this.
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used 4K 17" for 6 months
    Then back to 1080p 17", first 60hz then 120hz, for 9 months
    Now back on 4K 17"
    So a nice A-B-A test

The difference to me is obvious

Text is much clearer especially small text

I have a bunch of photos I took with a macro lens that pretty clearly show the difference whether it's fine detail (leaves on a distant tree) or text curves or corners

Its like high AA on a game. The effect will vary between games. Some people will notice it. Others won't. I'm in the camp of having seen it... will never go back.

Sent from my iOCEAN X7 using Tapatalk

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You mean you can actually see anything at the native 4K resolution on a 17" screen? I certainly can't, so I have to do a 200% to 250% DPI Scaling, and when you do that, the text becomes blurry in some applications or you get misaligned stuff like buttons or dialogue boxes in programs which don't play nice with scaling. Which removes the whole beauty and point in having a 4K screen. I mean just why? if you have to do DPI scaling, then might as well get a 1080P screen and enjoy the sharpness of running at the native resolution without having to do any DPI scaling.

To me, 4K is good for a 32 inch monitor and above, anything less and it's just a pain in the butt

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. James Logan

James Logan Newbie

Reputations:
    I currently have 2 No. 15 inch laptops, one with an IGZO IPS UHD display and the other an IPS FHD display. Both have same specs i.e. intel 7700HQ processor, Nvidia GTX 1070 and 16GB DDR 4 RAM. I run CAD, BIM and photo editing applications.

I had to get the laptop with the FHD display after 3 months of using the laptop with the UHD display because I was so sick and tired of having to deal with the scaling issues when running my applications as well as the ridiculous power drain while carrying out productivity tasks on the go.

When I dropped the resolution to 1080p on the UHD laptop and toggled with the scaling to try and address these issues, guess what? Texts and icons...in short the entire desktop looked blurry...it was horrendous!

So while you have your A-B-A test, I have laptops with these displays in front of me right now. Looking at both screens I can't tell the difference in sharpness at normal viewing distance. Its only when I bring my nose close to the screen that I barely notice any difference.

What I have noticed though is that the colours on the UHD laptop are more vibrant. The colour reproduction on the FHD laptop is also very good but not as vibrant as the UHD laptop.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2018
    Ultra Male likes this.
  8. James Logan

James Logan Newbie

Reputations:
    I totally agree with you!

Ultra Male likes this.
  9. HaloTechnology

HaloTechnology Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I kinda disagree now maybe 4k on 15" is too much which i think you are right but I just got evga sc17 with 17" 4k display and its amazing .I mean i would prefer a 2k 1560 120Hz display but it was not an option i can choose with this laptop i mean running rocket league and BF4 on 4k is just Epic !

and for apps to this day i never encountered a major issue with scaling maybe with win 10 new update and the ability to choose Enhanced System scaling fixed a lot of the issues i had at first .

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Of course I scale and I've had very little problem with scaling. Right now, Throttlestop is the only thing running that has scaled text a tad blurry. MSI afterburner graphics are fuzzy because I shrink it down to 75% (the text stays OK). GIMP had unusable tiny buttons but a UI mod exists (I found the better paint.net anyway), that's about it. I have also run my desktop and games at a variety of non-native res (1080p, 1440p, 2880x1620) and saw minimal scaling artifacts or fuzzies.

And to me at a normal viewing distance I can clearly see the difference. I swap between the 4K and 1080p still (that's my hybrid watercooling mod guinea pig) and notice it every time. 1080p is no longer "sharp" to me.

All up after scaling 4K nets me a 20-50% increase in desktop real estate depending on app/usage, with improved visual quality.

Viewing experience is subjective, so I'm not trying to say everyone will have the same experience as me, or will find the added expense a worthy investment, but I do think its worthwhile to note that these points about 4K being blurry or that DPI scaling negates the benefit are not universal. 4K is beyond the early adopter phase of a couple years ago, scaling issues will continue to decrease, and usability will continue to increase (e.g. more games will come out with scalable UIs)

As with anything else, individuals should go get personal experience and make up their own mind according to their values, rather than have randoms on the internet, including me, tell them what to do