Let's Discuss 4k vs 1080p on a laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Luraundo, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Luraundo

Luraundo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's my 2 cents on 4k over 1080p! After doing some research on it here's what I got about 4k over 1080p. https://www.noteloop.com/kit/display/pixel-density/

This link lists all the possible monitor sizes that are used by consumers. The main reason why most people want 4k is obviously because of its so called clarity over 1080p. We're missing the picture here as to what usually defines clarity for a monitor. PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is what's usually used to measure the clarity or detail level of a monitor. Most gamers use a desktop, but some use a laptop to game. Desktop monitors end up being noticeably larger than laptop screens. The larger the screen, the lower the PPI is. If you check full HD (1080P) over 4k for at least a 21.5" vs a 17'3 monitor, the PPI for the 21.5" at 4k is 204.92 while the 17'3 has a PPI of 174.5 at Full HD making it nearly a 15% difference by 30 PPI. Bump the 17'3 down to 15'4 and the difference will be negligible.

1080p on a laptop is just as good as a 4k desktop monitor. Some people will need 4k on a laptop for something other than gaming, but if you only want it for gaming then the performance sacrifice will make having 4k and going on a budget a headache.

DukeCLR likes this.
  2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Bacon

Reputations:
    I think 4K on a laptop is ludicrous. I like large resolutions for desktop workspace (which is why I have two 3440x1440 ultrawide 34" LCD's for my desktop). But if I ran 4K on a 15" or 17" screen I'd have to run it like it was 1080p anyhow (double scale), so what's the point then? I'll take 144Hz / 1080p over 60Hz / 4k any day. In 17" systems, maybe even 15" systems, I'd much rather see a 2560x1440 resolution. It's more practical, and a resolution that current upper mid end to high end GPU's can drive without issue in games. Plus it gives you a bit more desktop space to work with.

Ashtrix, Jarhead, J.Dre and 2 others like this.
  3. Darkavenger20000

Darkavenger20000 Newbie

Reputations:
    I think 4k is not necessary on laptops (for gaming at least). because most gaming laptop screen are 15.6 inch or 17 inch. Well at those screen sizes you shouldn't be able to notice such a difference between 1080p and 4k. And 4k just drains your performance. 1080p is cheaper and in case if you want 4k in a 1080p monitor you can always use nvidia DSR. I think gtx 970m is the sweet spot for laptop gaming all other cards are over priced. You can get 30fps if you run games like witcher 3 (maxed out ultra). And the thing is that human eyes cannot see more than 30fps. You wont even find the difference between 30 and 60fps if you game on a controller staying a little away from the screen. But if you play fps games with keyboard and mouse even a person who never played a game can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. Well this is because you can feel the delays in controls if you play with keyboard and mouse at a low fps.

4. Luraundo

Luraundo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is not true let alone that we don't see things in frames. A bunch of gamers can tell the difference between 60fps and 120fps. It's impossible to miss 60fps. This has been said I don't know how many times, but these statements come out of nowhere with no evidence to back it up and 60fps is easily noticeable for anyone unless they haven't seen 60fps at all.

I mean we can't deny stuff is not in 60fps. Even YouTube videos are coming out with 60fps options.

30fps by all means is playable, but it isn't as smooth as 60 or 120fps and less responsive.

TBoneSan and DukeCLR like this.
  5. DukeCLR

DukeCLR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with everything typed here, My desktop uses a 27" Dell 1440p Gsync monitor and its beautiful. My GT73VR has a 1080p 120Hz screen and it looks as good, although smaller, as my desktop. I have a 980ti driving my desktop and its a bit slower then my 1070 but it's still a pleasure on either monitor as the FPS are well above 60.

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Bacon

Reputations:
    There is definitely a difference between 30FPS and 60FPS, and even noticeable 60FPS and 120FPS. Even my feeble old man eyes can pick it up.

7. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    We will if we don't already have 4K resolution on 5-6" phone screens, which is not even noticeable when using you phone at the normal viewing distance, but now people are using their phones for VR with adapter glasses an inch or two from their eyes, 4K might be of use in that situation.

But on an 15" or 17" notebook ??

It`s just something new for manufactures to set themselves apart from each other, like 4gb of ram on an 128bit graphics card, that cannot ever use it.

John.

HTWingNut likes this.
  8. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Yeesh everyone always misses the point on this imo. 4K with the intent of adding workspace to your screen is useless. Everything is too small without scaling. However, with Windows scaling on, most things look extremely crisp. This can help reduce eyestrain and in general makes images and videos look crisper. The 1070 and 1080 are also both capable of playing a fair amount of games at 4K. Overwatch, Dota 2, CSGO and even GTA V can all be run really nicely on my 1070 at 4K. Additionally, on my screen at least, there is a pretty good upscaling algorithm at work, and playing more intensive looking games at an in between resolution still looks far superior to 1080p. Though your mileage will vary depending on the specific screen.

That being said, a 1440p 120Hz monitor is what I'd want on a laptop.

@Darkavenger20000 That's super wrong... Google any real source and you can easily see that's wrong. Hell you can view 30 vs 60 in your browser and see the difference.

HTWingNut likes this.
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    4K absolutely makes zero sense in a laptop, anybody with a functioning brain knows that. I'm still in the camp that 16:10 1920x1200P is the absolute best resolution for laptops, but that's just me. If we are talking larger monitors (23"+) then fine, I can see 4K being somewhat useful. The real kicker for 4K comes out on the larger screen sizes. 1080P on a 60" TV vs 4K on a 60" TV is a night and day difference.

But Alienware sticking a UHD panel in a 15" laptop was just laughable. Nobody, save for Superman, could possibly use native 4K/UHD resolution on a 15.4" display.

The industry should have been focusing on faster refresh rates and better colorspace coverage instead of obscene resolutions that have no place in a laptop.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  10. btccxi

btccxi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it help to think of 4k like always-on full-screen antialiasing?