Let's count Newegg customer reviews of current SSDs - Who will help?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Phil, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Just to clarify, if someone with C300 experienced heavy stuttering and RMAed the drive because of that, I count that as a failure.

I'm expecting Tsunade did the same. But let's ask him to confirm.

PS. Intel and Samsung also have their problems, so I'd put them in the same league.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Yes I counted SSD stuttering w/ RMA as a failure. Some where it was stuttering and they didn't RMA it I did count as for me doesn't count as normal operation, thus a defect/failure.

Funny one of the C300 128GB hardly had any issues while another 256GB was plagued with issues.

Edit: Phil update the first post, all SSDs on the to be counted list are done.

3. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Yes the C300 256GB CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 seems to have a lot more failures than the other C300 models.

I hope the new firmware update fixes their issues. Overall the C300 seems like a very reliable drive though.

4. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
  5. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    It's very weird. I can only see the 5 star reviews now.

6. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Reputations:
    Maybe newegg heard of what we're doing and decided to stop it?

Mr. Mysterious

7. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    That's what I thought too. Or maybe someone from OCZ was watching and contacted Newegg.

Edit: it's working now! Only one real failure (DOA) for the 120GB model. Not bad.

The 240GB seems to have 1 RMA.

8. Xonar

Xonar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This study is not worthless.

As MidnightSun said, there is bias to the study because it is response based; not everyone is forced to truthfully review their drive after "X" of months. The TRUE percentage of failure cannot EVER be known unless you are able to sample EVERY SINGLE drive X months after it was manufactured, but a range of failure rates can be estimated with a high margin of error. This is considered bad statistics, yes, and the study is not deemed "credible", BUT it is not even close to WORTHLESS.

What Phil is trying to do, is to simply compile data so that you can get a general sense of how reliable these SSD's are, according to people who have decided to respond. Try finding anything other than individual, non organized forum posts like: "Is this SSD reliable/fast? . . . Vertex2 sucks . . . My SSD's 4k score is lower than my friend's help?!?!, etc" when trying to research hardware. It is a nightmare and I appreciate the time he's putting into this.

So many of you are instantly convinced by a neighbors', a parent's, or best friend's opinion on certain brands or products and you will agree on it without realizing its only 1 of a billion different points of view, but instantly refute Newegg reviews as if they were anything different than what your brother recommended.

Something is always better than nothing at all.

9. OneCool

OneCool I AM NUMBER 67

Reputations:
    Thats not a unreasonable assumption.Really sounds like something they would do.

Just thinking like that about a high end company like them speaks volumes about there reputation :rolleyes:

10. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I updated the 120 GB version. 1 more failure and 2 more reviews

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.