Let's count Newegg customer reviews of current SSDs - Who will help?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Phil, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    wow. I was shocked when i went through the ratings of them. Several of the people was on their 3rd drive after 2 of them failing, but i didn`t count 2 because it was only 1 rating.

Vertex 3 looks very promising though. :) Let us hope that the failure won`t be popping in after a month or so.

2. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    The 80 and 240GB Vertex2's are scary. We're looking at over 1/3rd of the drives failing... 19% overall looks positively glowing compared to that.

Now to completely gut what I just said, the thing to remember is that people tend to review only when things fail them, not when they're good. So these are likely highly inflated numbers. That doesn't mean the comparisons between brands aren't accurate, but it does mean that the raw "failure rate" isn't going to be accurate and much higher than it actually is.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Intel X25-V 40GB
    - Newegg.com - Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2K5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    - 28 Reviews
    - 1 Failure

Corsair Force 60GB
    - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...33124&cm_re=force_60gb-_-20-233-124-_-Product
    - 85 Reviews
    - 21 Failures

Also doesn't it not sample how good drives are. Most people who write reviews are the extremes. Extremely happy people or extremely mad customers. We don't get the median whose drives work but they had have had the occasional hiccup.

4. deekeasy

deekeasy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've purchased 3 Intel G2s (80, 120, and a 160) from Newegg and installed them in 3 different lappys. All 3 are still running perfecto but I can't be bothered to write reviews on them.
    I sure read plenty before deciding to buy them tho. :)

5. Seanwhat

Seanwhat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd like to come back to the point made here by chimpanzee. The design flaw in this study is so critical that unless it is addressed, your results should be discredited. Although this is a tough issue to solve, I can't let it be dismissed. I could offer a suggestion:

Ideally we'd want to count the failure rates of drives bought in the future; this would tell us the most reliable drive to buy from now on. Of course this is not possible as we don't have any future reviews. However, we can find which drive would have been the most reliable to buy at any given point in the past: we simply need to count the failure rates in reviews of drives bought since that time point.

I'm not familiar with the review system on Newegg, but if you count the reviews written for drives bought since, say, 6 months ago, you can find the most reliable drive to buy 6 months ago. As long as there have been no major changes to any of the drives in 6 months, this will give a good representation of the failure rates of drives bought today.

I don't know when the last major update was done to any of the drives which are being considered, but find that date and look at only the reviews of drives bought since then. Remember to look at the date of purchase, not of review.

Sorry to complicate things but I don't want a worthless study to take place.

6. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    It's your assumption that the study would otherwise be worthless. Certainly not mine because products like Vertex 2 and Intel G2 have been selling for years. I'm much more interested in their overall reliability than in the last 6 months reliability.

And like I already answered before, for some popular products like Vertex 2 60Gb and 120GB it's easy to count the failures that happened in the last 6 months. We only need people to actually do it.

And we still have these SSDs to count:
    Corsair Nova 64GB
    Corsair Nova 128GB
    Corsair Force 120GB
    Crucial C300 128GB CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1CCA
    Crucial C300 128GB CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1
    Crucial C300 256GB CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1CCA
    Crucial C300 256GB CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1

Intel X25m 160GB SSDSA2M160G2XXX
    Intel X25m 160GB SSDSA2MH160G2K5
    Intel X25m 160GB SSDSA2MH160G2R5
    OCZ Agility 2 60GB
    OCZ Agility 2 120GB

7. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I agree. However there are suprisingly many people there who post ratings when they are satisfied with their product. But there is probably more unsatisfied than satisfied which makes the whole failure rate of the product in general a bit flawed. But i`m betting that the same amount of people who buy the Intel will go to newegg and complain as people from OCZ. So you get atleast a picture of which brands are the most reliable between them.

I just repeated what you said, but just want to make it clear that this study is quite interesting and give us some idea. :)

8. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    even while the study is not accurate, the amount where the vertex is off is big enough to put up the question "why". there are different answers, but most do not put a good light on the vertex.

9. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    It seems Corsair Force has exactly the same problem.

So maybe it's not OCZ that's the problem, it's Sandforce 1200.

10. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    the ocz problem is that they're a bunch of liars that sell you anything.

the sandforce 1200 is not the only product with problems they tried to sell and lied to their customers while doing so.

so yes and no, it's not only an ocz problem. but they're problem magnets :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.