Less than 5% of laptop users use SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Helpmyfriend, Jan 13, 2011.

?

what drive technology are you using on your laptop?

1. SSD

70 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. 5400rpm

38 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. 7200rpm

50 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. 4200rpm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. hybrid

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J&SinKTO

J&SinKTO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Again I mentioned not for everyone. Based on how/what required for my work/activities, the SSD is a worthwhile, time-savings upgrade.
    Does not and may not fit everyone - now or into the future.
    To each his own. That's the nice part of choices we have available.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Yeah, that, along with a utility (bootable USB or CD) to secure erase instead of having to resort to getting ahold of a linux build and hdparm.

There you go being all reasonable and stuff.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well some laptops/desktops in AHCI mode are flaky, as in htwingnut's case. You can also do the registry hack from IDE mode to AHCI mode later. Alot of modern notebooks can change IDE/AHCI. Even my 3.5 year old Dell Vostro can change between ATA and AHCI mode..

4. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod® Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Indilinx drives require BIOS switch to IDE mode. I had to put all my SSDs into a basket and roll up on my neighbor to flash the new firmware on his desktop. Twice.

I have 5 notebooks and not a one allows you to change IDE/SATA in BIOS. Though an elitebook I had did.

Back in the days of destructive flash, you could do it from within windows. They still have destructive flash available for the latest firmware, but to identify the NAND for the proper destructive flash file, you need to run a program in IDE mode from startup. Hassle-city.

When the state of things mature, firmware flashes will be mostly unnecessary. That is when SSDs will be closer to prime time. That, and when the price per GB nears parity with HDDs.

5. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is my #1 criteria for a thing like HDD/SSD given the difficulties it involves.

6. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, this thread is turning all boring now, with people dropping the outrageous claims and name-calling. Time to close the thread ;)

7. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    But they still need to make firmware flash compatible with AHCI.

Plus I don't think we'll ever see price per GB near HDD's at least the direction they're heading now. Smaller fab processes result in shorter write cycles for the NAND. I wouldn't doubt if MLC is eliminated altogether and replaced by SLC, jacking up pricing again. But what do I know. I'm just a Monday morning quarterback.

8. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Very odd, though I have only owned Dell business oriented notebooks, every single one has allowed me to change ATA/AHCI mode, though not all mine have an SSD installed.

I believe even my older Dell Inspiron E1405 allowed changing the SATA mode between ATA/AHCI..

When SSDs go closer to the GB/price ratio of a HDD, I will buy them for every single computer I own. Even my mom's desktop! :cool:

9. michael_recycled

michael_recycled Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bus powered 2.5" HDDs are defective by design.

Michael

10. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Dell's BIOS as far as I know is the least restrictive based on my experience, not to the point of a desktop but better than all other brands of laptop I have. All my other Notebook's don't allow me to switch between ATA/AHCI even though they are using SATA capable chipsets.