1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Less than 5% of laptop users use SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Helpmyfriend, Jan 13, 2011.

?

what drive technology are you using on your laptop?

1. SSD

70 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. 5400rpm

38 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. 7200rpm

50 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. 4200rpm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. hybrid

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helpmyfriend

Helpmyfriend Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was told from a friend who works at a comp. shop that he read a report not long ago about how less than 5% of laptop owners in North America have a SSD in their laptop and are still using SATA (5400rpm for the most part) drives.

I know SSD is still new and very pricey but im surprised more havent made the switch. Once you go SSD you wont ever go back. I dont see any reason why anyone would want to.

2. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    answered your own question.

most people want a large amount of storage space for content (music, video, games) and the cost / GB of an SSD is extremely high. 2-3x more drive performance doesn't help most people when the cost is 10x.

3. JimGoose

JimGoose Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem with SSD in laptops is that size + cost is still a limiting factor.

I think the best scenario is if you have to 2 HDDs, one SSD for OS/Programs, the other a conventional 7200rpm for media/storage, but only a few models have 2 drive bays... unless you remove the optical drive and get a caddy for your 2nd drive. I might do this with my next laptop

4. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most people (even on these forums) don't upgrade their laptops that often. My current Compal JFL92 (from February 2008) still has a 250GB @ 5400RPM hard disk. SSD's are nice, but the prices really need to drop below $1/GB -- it's not like with a desktop where you can easily have many drives and an 80GB boot drive does not affect the amount of storage space.

5. Helpmyfriend

Helpmyfriend Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hey i got a question, out of all the drives does SSD consume the most battery power compared to say 5400 or 7200rpm drives?

6. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yep, it's honestly no surprise that SSD penetration into the consumer market is at that percentage. Your poll won't tell you much since this forum is but a very small and non-representative subset of the general population. As for power consumption, you can't really generalize - some SSDs will consume less power than HDDs, while others will consume more. Both have a range of power consumption values, to get a better answer, you'd have to compare a few specific models. At best, the generalization would be something like this: the Samsung, Indilinx, and Toshiba drives on average, tend to have lower power consumption relative to other SSDs and HDDs, while Marvell, Intel, and Sandforce tend to consume around the same or more than HDDs.

7. s2odin

s2odin Merrica!

Reputations:
    Some do some don't.
    You just have to read the specs on the drive and look at benchmarks if possible.

Corsair C300 are good on battery life iirc.

8. NotEnoughMinerals

NotEnoughMinerals Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This forum is probably not the best place to take on a poll on general laptop users.

Also, there are very few laptops out there that come with SSDs in the default config and most of people never really think of upgrading their notebook drive. Or if they do, they're looking for more space.

9. chimpanzee

chimpanzee Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For typical laptop usage(i.e. 80% of the time they are sort of idle as far as disk activity is concern), SSD should result in longer battery life. The reason is that unlike HDD, there is no such state as 'spinning but doing nothing'(which consume more power than spindown). SSD only has 'spin down'(that is the idle) or 'do something' mode.

So HDD may actually consume less power when fully utilized(that is the thing that a benchmark can measure), it is usually not the case in real usage(that is something that cannot be benchmarked and can only be measured by individuals).

10. SHoTTa35

SHoTTa35 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's supposedly one of the pluses of SSDs. At idle, most 5400RPM drives draw say .5watts while a SSDs pull .01watt or something like that. While READ/WRITE speeds are in some cases just as high as 5400RPM drives the benefit is that they read right faster so they go back to the lower power state faster therefore still using less power.

The Sandforce controllers right now seem to pull the least amount of power. Here is a nice graph showing such usage:

[​IMG]

OCZ Vertex 2 Review (120GB) | StorageReview.com

11. Deathwinger

Deathwinger Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Why do I care how fast a hard drive is once its playing my content at a speed I am happy with and doesn't hurt my pocket? (average user response)

12. roliath

roliath Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ssd's in everything I own

13. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You are missing usable Windows in 15 seconds. :p

14. Marecki_clf

Marecki_clf Little boy forever...

Reputations:
    Dual hard drive setup (SSD + HDD).

15. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

Reputations:
    And most people care about this, why?

16. Gracy123

Gracy123 Agrees to disagree

Reputations:
    Here are 3 from me:

1. Excessive price per MB

2. Small capacities (A storage media below 250-320GB nowadays can only be a temporary solution at least for me)

3. Using OSs not programmed for using SSDs shortens the life of the SSD immensely as the load is not spread but concentrated on particular part of the memory. I have HDDs that are over 4-5 years old and still work perfectly - once your SSD reaches this age - start a new thread and tell us how it is doing ;)

Taking the above into account, I am sticking to a fast 7200RPM until at least 2 out of the 3 problems are solved.

P.s. Your statistic on top will not be accurate as the Thread's name is not really inviting HDD users to open it. Change it if you want more accurate results.

17. Marvin H Muckley III

Marvin H Muckley III Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think the poll is going to be very accurate for the simple fact that most of the people who come to this forum are well above the common consumer in regards to current technology and knowledge.

18. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    3 is incorrect; the load is spread by firmware and controllers on the SSD itself (wear-leveling) regardless of OS. The one thing that OS affects (presently) is TRIM, and that has more to do with the response and speed of the SSD (via write amplification) than load. I can't argue with your other 2 points, though (except to point out that there are 500+ GB SSDs... I should be having one come in soon, actually...).

19. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    huge response bias in the poll, agreed. also, sample bias.

much more likely to view the poll if you have an ssd. much more likely to respond to the poll if you have an sdd. much more likely that a user on this forum has an ssd vs. average user.

20. Astrogiblet

Astrogiblet Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Went from a 120GB 7200RPM drive to a much faster 500GB 5400RPM drive a couple weeks back.

I would love an SSD, but not until I can get a >500GB drive for less than $300.