Leopard vs Raider

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by tantrum0077, Dec 2, 2018.

1. tantrum0077

tantrum0077 Newbie

Reputations:
  2. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can't give you an opinion on waiting for the 20 series. But I ordered a GP73 with the 1060 and I feel like I got a great deal. I'll be making a review thread when I get it.

GE vs GP is just metal chassis vs not.

Ultra Male likes this.
  3. Installed64

Installed64 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the thermal performance on the GE may be better than the GP, which with a full 1070, could play a big role.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    They both use the same LCD, CPU, and GPU.

The other main differences are:
    GE:
    - Supports 2x M.2 SSD
    - Aluminum LCD lid and Palm Rest
    - 6.8 Pounds (3.1Kg) ~ 1.18" (30mm) thin
    - Steel Series per-Key RGB with Anti-Ghost key + silver lining

GP:
    - 1x M.2 SSD
    - Aluminum look plastic case
    - 5.95 pounds (2.7Kg) ~ 1.25" (31.8mm) thin

Then, to compare detailed specification differences, scroll down to the bottom of the customizer in your links, just below the Add to Cart button, and click on the “Specs” tab.

After you've made your choice, email donald@hidevolution.com to get the NBR Discount

5. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Important to note that the GP still has a Steel Series keyboard, just not per key RGB.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

Here is a comparison between the two laptops: MSI GP73 Leopard-8RF vs MSI GE73 Raider 8RF RGB.
    The GP series has a plastic case, with just the display lid made of aluminium. Because of this, the GP series is lighter.
    The GE series is mostly aluminium and has superior sound.

The GP series has also been reported to develop chassis issues over time, but this varies from unit to unit and how well you take care of your machine.

Apart from that, they are very similar machines. I would go with the GE73; it is well worth the price difference.

7. Aes85

Aes85 Newbie

Reputations:
    There is a guy sellin the GE73 7RF (used for 1 year, so still 1 year warranty for 1150€, but I can go lower to 1000€). It's a gtx 1070 + i7 7700HQ and 120 hz, which maybe is even better for games since the 1070 can push games easily at 120 fps, but the 4 cores vs the 6 ones of the 8rf with the new i7 8750 is what is pushin me away from it.

The guy said the laptop it's immaculate cause he showed me pics of his desk (he kept it on a base with external keyboard and mouse so there is no sign of usage). He doesnt accept sendind it back cause he says there is the warranty and the computer has no probs. He bought it from an italian shop call AK informatica which asked MSI to replace the HDD with a Crucial MX500 1 Tb ssd, leavin empty both the M.2 slots that if I'm not wrong are Nvme capable right? So I guess I would get a Nvme ssd like 970 evo and use the 1 tb ssd as storage.

I know that the screen has 100% srgb coverage and notebookcheck wrote that it is perfect for professional photo and video editing but I'm scared by the viewing angles cause i saw the GP73 inside an italian shop during black friday and i didnt like the screen at all.

What do u guys suggest? Is the 1000-1150 euro price range good for a used machine like this or I should look for the 8rf? I admit that I dont do heavy editing, it's not like everyday but it would be the main purpose of the machine, followed by gaming with old and newest titles.

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

We still have this laptop in your database, and you can buy it new for 1500 euro including SSD and HDD: MSI GE73VR 7RF.
    I would say the price he is asking is fair.

As for the TN display, the TN display does have 95% sRGB or so, but it needs calibration for photoshop work and such. Also being a TN WVA means you get excellent angles, but there will still be slight brightness and colour variations depending on the viewing angle and across its surface. I know this because I have both a high-end 4K IPS displays and 2.5K WVA TN. The TN is good, but the IPS is better for photoshop.

If you want to do a mature photoshop and video editing, the display will be ok, but if you're going to do it professional level, you need an IPS display.

9. Aes85

Aes85 Newbie

Reputations:
    He even said that he added (always through the shop) 8 gb of 2400Hz ram (so it has 16 gb total, dual channel).

Both the M.2 slots are Nvme capable or just one? Should I buy a Nvme ssd or just use the replaced crucial mx500 as Primary Os storage?

Notebookcheck wrote that the Color gamut of the Ge73 7rf is 100% srgb and 75% of adobe. Why did you say it's 95%? I was lookin for a compromise since IPS have great viewing angles but worst time response.

Do you think that the Msi Ge75 fullhd ips level display would be overall a better compromise for editing and gaming than the GE73 one? The Msi Ge75 is what I'd rly want to buy but the price tag difference is huge (2000 euro vs maybe even 1000€ for the ge73 7rf used one).

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am not sure if both slots are Nvme capable, I think you need to check with a reseller or download the service manual.
    You can get SATA or NVMe, and it will not make much of a difference. NVMe is, in theory, faster, but it also heats up, and as it heats up in downgrades performance to SATA levels or even worse. In practice, you won't notice a difference.

Because each panel is different, so even if it's the same model, one maybe 100%, one maybe 98%. Additionally, some panels claim 100% sRGB, but I have yet to find a panel which had 100% sRGB after calibration, they can get close, like 99,5 %, but never 100%.
    I think the IPS display would be better unless you are into eSports.