Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro for pentesting?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by lang11, Aug 10, 2021.

1. lang11

lang11 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am looking for a new notebook. Stumbled upon the Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro with the Ryzen 5900HX Octa-core. Got 16Gb RAM. Also has a 1TB SSD. Seems to have everything I need for running multiple virtual machines. Only thing missing would be a dedicated GPU but as I won't be doing a lot or any gaming I don't see that as a problem.

Contrary to popular believe the Yoga series is not limited to only 2 in 1 notebooks anymore as this one is a "normal" notebook.

I really like the slim look and the design in general. The Wifi Card is also capable of injection and monitor mode.

I will also use this notebook for uni stuff as I am studying computer science.

https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/yoga/yoga-slim-series/Yoga-Slim-7-Pro-14ARH5/p/LEN101Y0001

2. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just about any recent "notebook" should suffice for pentesting.

You know about the network adapters and which will allow you "tap" easier or at all.

Keep in mind VM's share the CPU / RAM and running more than say 2 simultaneously on top of windows might be the max w/o going to a hypervisor + VM's to free up resources for more VM's to be running.

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    injection seems like your a hacker?

4. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    JRE84 and Vasudev like this.
  5. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    White hat/Black hat is the difference.
    Or would it be better to say ethical or unethical ?
    If you're setting up security for some odd network you have to know how to hack it, or at least try to (the hopeful way it turns out if it's really secure).

6. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Having a security cert already under my belt and real world experience it's more about spackling the drips in the dam.

It's more complicated when you're hosting services that need to be reached from anyone / anywhere. Segregating things from outside / inside and not leaving a pinhole in place for access is the key.

WIFI pentesting is more about making sure you don't have open SSID's that allow access into the internal network. Even secured SSID's need to prevent someone in the parking lot w/ proper tools from getting onto the internal resources. This can be accomplished by many different means but, typically either from AD authentication or a certificate validation between the systems. Another approach could be using a token system with 1 time use series of numbers in addition to the primary authentication.

Securing things physically can involve swiping a card + biometric or a pin system as well.

Security should be tiered to be effective.

JRE84 likes this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    last time i needed a wifi card with injection I was breaking hacking records lol......funny he posted that

I should ask now do you want to handshake tha ol westcoast..... hehe

i highly recommend you guys look up wps handshake...laugh later:p

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  8. N2ishun

Reputations:
    O BTW.
    I'd suggest a more robust card than the AX200...maybe the AX210 is better, dunno, not used one yet.
    I have a AX201 in the lappy I'm typing this on and it's good when it works, but I do get drop outs and random bugginess from it.
    Just something to be aware of....simple thing to swap out cards.
    Still miss my old Intel ProSet wifi, that thing rocked, but alas, died.

9. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Intel cards don't work for this sort of stuff. It has to be a RT / BC / QC card to work.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  10. N2ishun

Reputations:
    *some* intel cards don't....but I digress.
    It's a tad tough to read the lenovo website linked in the OP since I do not speak very good german (I get a bit but am in no way fluent).
    It's shows both the AX200 and the Realtek I see now.
    Sorry.