Lenovo Yoga 910 - Detailed Review & Parts

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Joshva, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshva

Joshva Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks Keith. Unfortunately it was a canned response. The newly posted bios on the support page is just the same bios that the computer already comes with.

2. KeithW

KeithW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    super odd since the date was the 2nd and you've had yours for nearly a month now. bummer.

3. Joshva

Reputations:
    Ah! That's the day it was posted to the site. If you click on it, there is a Release Notes file. It has a different older date

4. Joshva

Reputations:
    Guess what everyone.... I'm sitting here with my 2nd Lenovo Yoga 910 4k 16g 512g SSD and...

It has the same very loud high pitched fan as the prior one I had.

Definitely a problem with the design of the machine.

If you run anything substantially taxing on the CPU this machine will sound like a vacuum cleaner

5. Joshva

Reputations:
    Btw if you set the max processor state to 99% it will reduce the fan noise a fair bit. Doesn't eliminate it but its better

6. KeithW

Reputations:
    I wonder if it's possibly to find an after market fan for those fans. Would be awfully difficult obviously for a notebook but curious.

7. Joshva

Reputations:
    Its definitely much much better at 99% btw, it still comes on way too early i.e. when processor is at 52C the fan is going. There really isn't a need for that.

8. Joshva

Reputations:
  9. KeithW

Reputations:
    Josh,
    did you see Lisa's review on MobileTechReview? She also mentioned the fan noise, and she didn't have the 4k version like you. However, what I found interesting was she only had the problem when it was plugged into the AC adapter. Is that indicative of yours as well?

10. Joshva

Reputations:

Yes, I did see that. I like Lisa, she does a good job, better than most. Like all reviewers though, they don't use the laptop for a long duration of time, so even though she mentioned it, she may not find it as annoying. Right now, i'm writing this on the 910 and the fan is going nuts. I am literally doing NOTHING on this computer other than typing this. I checked Task Manager and there is nothing running other than Edge.

I haven't spent much time on non AC power to see if it is better. I personally don't want to run my laptop on battery all the time to lower fan noise.

I may have to return yet another 910. Its so annoying. I am going to hang onto it for a couple more weeks to see if Lenovo issues a bios fix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.