Lenovo Yoga 720 with Thunderbolt3 for EGPU?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by sicily428, Mar 16, 2017.

1. indig0

indig0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sicily428 likes this.
  2. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've been eyeing one of these but reports of the CPU being stuck at base speeds and not being able to turbo really has me wary?
    True?

3. xDD90x

xDD90x Newbie

Reputations:
    Not exactly. Turbo boost can be enabled with third party software, but it causes the device to run too hot. See this video for the full details:

The solution to keeping turbo boost enabled would be to somehow improve cooling. This same guy from the video released a follow up where he attempts to do just that by replacing the thermal paste, but his results weren't ideal. Check it out:

In my personal experience, this laptop runs like a dream for the most part and was the best option for me. However, as far as gaming goes, I just use it to play last-gen games at max settings/60fps and I game on consoles for current-gen titles. In the future I'd ideally like to have both a dedicated desktop PC for gaming and a lightweight 2-in-1 for everything else. But until I'm in a position to afford that, my YOGA 720 will have to suffice and I'm really happy with it.

Redteam likes this.
  4. kabua

kabua Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

i got the yoga 720 15 with full hd Display.
    Its almost perfect. Almost!
    There is no fan noise in windows or games like league of legend. Just cap the framerate with a tool like rtss frame limiter. No heat, no fan...realy nice.

Keyboard, performance, weight everything is nice but the display. Its a glare display and its annoying. Even no lights in background you can use it as a mirror. Even on highest brightness settings. After 1h i get headache.
    Its my first glare display after years. So i ordered now a anti glare film.
    If its doesnt fit i return this beautiful laptop.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Redteam likes this.
  5. franketto

franketto Newbie

Reputations:
    Please, kabua, update the situation when you'll try the anti glare film.

6. kabua

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

i got the anti glare film. it is already installed.

The good news: There are NO reflections. My others notebooks with anti-glare displays never reach this kind of level of antiglare.
    Installation took one hour. its hard to get all the bubbles away. In Games like league of legends you see no different. Its almost perfect.

the bad news: in windows every where is white background color it is a little bit fuzzy. Its like you put a drop of water on a display. Then you can imagine how it looks like. First i thought i have to clean the surface, but it is the anti film. there are a lot of red and blue and green dots in the film. You can still use Windows of course but it makes no fun to use Word anymore cause the letters too fuzzy.

Last but not least: i give it a chance for the next 3 days.

7. franketto

franketto Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you!
    Bad news for professionals...
    Which is the anti-glare brand?
    Could you post a pic of the problem?

8. kabua

Reputations:
    The brand is atfolix from germany. bought it on amazon. was the only one for yoga 720 15.

i tried to make a photo with my smartphone but not working...i try it tomorrow again

9. kabua

Reputations:
    Hey Franketto,

attached you see a zoomed photo. With a decent distance you normally dont see the rainbow colors but everything gets a little bit fuzzy. What actually annoys is the oil effect (u see it best above the ssio in the word professionals). Its like you have a little bit water on the display. antiglarfilm.png

BUT BUT BUT
    Normaly i would say you dont get disturb by this effect. Its just me. I feel very uncomfortable when the display is not perfect.

p.s: Just for Info: the Display was cleaned. No water on it when i took this photo

franketto likes this.
  10. franketto

franketto Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    Do you think this effect could be better/worse with the UHD display?