Lenovo y740-17 or MSI GS75

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Bambilambi, Aug 7, 2019.

?

Which one should i purchase

Poll closed Aug 14, 2019.
  1. MSI GS75

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Legion y740-17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bambilambi

Bambilambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, some background information:

I have an old Asus ROG G75 from 2015 with a 970m and I am planning on purchasing a new laptop with an 17 inch screen.

I am a bit stuck on which of the above to choose, my current heavy lapotop is pretty quiet but to big, as it is basically a desktop replacement. I have read all i can find on these two laptops and watched every review but
    it is hard to decide, especially since the pricing in sweden is a bit special at the moment.

This is why:
    I can get the Lenovo i7-9750H with 32 ram, 1 tb ssd and the 2070 maxg for about the same price as the MSI 8sg (i7-7850H with 16 ram, 512 gb ssd and 2070 maxq).

For me sound is important so i am leaning towards the lenovo, however jarrodtechs review shows that both MSI (on auto fan) and Lenovo playing a game reaches around 48 decibel. This is higher than what i earlier read about lenovo, which should only reach around 43 decibel compared to MSIs 48 decibel when playing a game. (Can be found for example in notebookchecks reviews for these computers)

If the difference in sound is neglible I will probably go for the MSI, which is smaller with a bigger battery and have a better keyboard in my opinion.

Both seem to keep the cpu in the high 80s so any eventual thermal degradation seem similar.

Have anyone tried both and is the lenovo quieter in normal gameplay?
    Which should i get?

Advice please:)

2. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I heard contradicting reports...
    In my experience, Y740 is very quiet machine. During normal use (by normal use for these machines I mean gaming too), temps don't go too high. Speakers are good too.
    However on Y740 temps do go high during combined CPU/GPU benchmarks. (It depends on room temps though - with good air conditioning I was able to get near 3.9ghz during combined CPU/GPU test with temps at middle 80-s). When I don't temps can easily go into 90 zone. I guess for MSI situation is similar or worse. Note that I have the 2080max-q model, which I think has higher temperatures.
    If you care - on 17 model speakers are actually good and strong.
    Keybpard on Y740 is fine, I have no idea what's everyone is complaining about. I actually like it.
    Battery does suck from my experience with it so far, I think 5 hours is the max you can hope for... From what I have heard MSI has better battery runtimes.

3. Bambilambi

Reputations:
    ok, thanks!
    Yeah the keyboard isnt bad on the y740. I have tried out both laptops (previous versions) in a store and for me the MSI was slightly better but both were really good,

Good to hear about the noise levels, I am thinking that Y740 has better cooling and doesnt need to as high rpm on the fan at similar load or something.
    So depending on game, the lenovo can be quieter compared to the gs75.

4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the GS75 with 2080 Max-q and at stock settings the gpu hits 76°C when gaming and the cpu hits 86°C + with cooler boost (150%).

I repasted mine with Liquid metal and now it runs at 69°C gpu and 71°C cpu with cooler boost. I opted for lower noise so I set it to max at 75%(out of 150%) which gives 77°c gpu and cpu.

5. Bambilambi

Reputations:
    Thanks, my main question now is what noise level 75% is on the MSI :)
    what decibel so to speak.
    Anyway, i bought the Lenovo, but I am thinking on returning it due to the keyboard feel ( I write alot)

Do you have any idea on the difference between liquid metal and kryonaut? (for this computer)
    I have never repasted with liquid metal so i´d like to stay away from that due to the stories that are floating around of failed attempts:)

(I doesnt look that hard tbh, just dont over-use it and add "plastic protection" around the CPU, due to how it works (rubbing it in) I am a bit unsure if you should both apply it on the cooler and the cpu or if it is enough only on the cpu)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  6. seanwee

Reputations:
    Kryonaut should be fine. Gpu temps will be about 1-2°C hotter than what I posted but cpu may be up to 5-9°C hotter.

As for fan noise. Measuring with the sound meter app on my galaxy note 8 gives 47db in front of the laptop (ambient of 43db). Cooler boost gives 54db.

I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

The GS75 is capable of dissipating heat passively too when running light tasks like browsing or watching YouTube. The fans won't spin in those situations, akin to the zero rpm mode on gpus.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  7. Bambilambi

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks!
    What do you mean ambient for you? is that a silent room?
    I am assuming 47 decibel for you was at 75% fan?

As for decibels, I know. I think i really need to hear it for myself. (Is my 47 db, the same as yours is the big question)
    Comparatively with my oneplus phone during firestrike and later gaming a demanding game i got:

fan off, ambient 27-29 (I live in a quiet neighborhood)
    fan low 36
    fan medium 41 (never got higher during a firestrike test)
    fan high 46-47 decibel, at this level i have no problem drowning out the fan noise at 40% sound.

(thermals are around mid 70s to mid 80s on cpu and 77 on gpu. However this is with stock paste, so its not really a fair comparison in this specific regard.)

Hmm, so it seems to be similary noise level on demanding loads then. that is good and those thermals are still ok, 82-86 on cpu is not too hot.

8. seanwee

Reputations:
    Forget the volume reading. It's not accurate at all. Even when it's dead silent it still shows 43 dB, a phone limitation I guess . And by ambient I meant baseline background noise.

Bambilambi likes this.
  9. Bambilambi

Reputations:
    Deleted, Message in the wrong place.

10. Bambilambi

Reputations:
    @seanwee Is the upgrade to 2080 (and I7-9750h) worth it in your opinion?
    :)
    Sorry a hard question to answer, but I am looking to buy a MSI GS75 now, after returning the Legion Y740 that i tried out.
    I am considering going for the 2070 maxq version.

In Sweden the prices are around:
    2500 USD for the i7-8750h 2070 maxq
    2900 USD for the i7-9750h 2070 maxq
    3400 USD for the it-9750h 2080 maxq.
    I can afford all three of course, but I am still considering the "cheapest" 8750h version. Or is the 2080 maxq "alot" better in the MSI GS75. I guess you perhaps have been benchmarking and comparing some? ;)