Lenovo Y540 - main thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Dantei, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Pilsner Urquell

Pilsner Urquell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone recommend a good laptop cooling pad or something similar for my Y540 17"? There's a jungle of them..

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Shabs

Shabs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. Did you get this kit? Any issues? Ordered the y540, was going to upgrade too.

3. Blest

Blest Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have a question if I connect an external monitor to this laptop using DP mini with G Sync (144Hz) support, then will G Sync work?

Thanks for the answer

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Long as you're using mini-DisplayPort to full-size DisplayPort, it should work. Make sure you have a high-quality cable. I recommend this one. It's more expensive than others you'll find on Amazon, but it's fully certified and should handle high refresh rates with no issue.

5. Blest

Blest Newbie

Reputations:
    I already have a cable that supports G sync (144 Hz), on the previous laptop I used this solution (on HP Omen with GTX 1070) and there were no problems. I am asking because I am thinking about this laptop and I would like to be able to use the advantages of the monitor.

Greetings and thank you.

6. laptopper333

laptopper333 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Edit - SOrry wrong thread

7. Shabs

Reputations:
    I just got my Lenovo Legion Y540 17" and had a few questions, hoping for some help.

Where can I find the battery conservation mode I've read about that keeps the charge at 60%?

I'd like to do a fresh reinstall of win10 and drivers/software using the media creation tool off a USB. Where would I find the product key for my win10 version they installed?
    On that note, I tried asking Lenovo support for the product key and they said they don't have it, and further said if I try to reinstall win10 using a USB and it wipes the system recovery already on the drive, it'd void my warranty!! Has anyone ever heard of such a thing, or can confirm that's Lenovos policy?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  8. RhyStar

RhyStar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The battery conservation mode is in the Lenovo app... big L on a blue background.

Select power and you will see it.

Why not restore windows from the recovery partition?

Not sure about the warranty... I would double check that.

R

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Shabs

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply and info.

I'd like to repartition the drive, get rid of all the bloatware, use the mfrs drivers in some cases instead of the OEM. Since I haven't put anything on it yet, seems much simpler to just reinastall fresh.

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Unless something is vastly different with the 540, the only thing I'd consider as bloatware on my Y545 was the McAfee antivirus software, and that was surprisingly easy to remove. Guess that's the by-product of McAfee being owned by Intel.

Everything else that was on the PC was stuff you'd get with a stock Windows 10 installation.