Lenovo Y540 - main thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Dantei, Jul 9, 2019.

1. balkeet

balkeet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Need Max fan option back from Lenovo, then y540 can beat Helios 300 for best laptop of 2019

2. Dantei

Dantei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And why is that? It's already cool enough? No thermal throttling on my side.

3. Lagom

Lagom Newbie

Reputations:
    I just ordered 81SX0001MX, which is 15 inch 144hz, 9300h, gtx 1660 ti, 2x8GB RAM, 512GB 2280 SSD.
    Thanks for the help!

Pretty excited, I hope it will be perfect for me.

4. Shadoo

Shadoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all.
    I hope this is okay to ask, how would you rate your battery life in 'hybrid mode'? That and possibly how you gauge the laptop with regards to durability. (to be carted around daily or travelled with)
    For my half my usage, this laptop seems to offer the best performance for the money (in my region), above average speakers and fan noise are a plus too. Still for the other half I'm concerned about how it'd stand up to being taken everywhere and the better screens and batteries in the X1E and XPS 15 sway that but their thermals and price aren't nice. (not to mention questionable everything for the XPS)

Gotta compromise, and am leaning towards this. Any reports of it are appreciated.

5. Lagom

Lagom Newbie

Reputations:
    I can't answer your questions, but there are 3 reviews of different configurations of the y540 on notebookcheck. And they test the battery too, so you should be more informed after checking them out.

6. Shadoo

Shadoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah I must've missed one. Went over two but was hungry for some more insight. Thanks, I'll look back.

I was somewhat hopeful that some users had eeked out a bit more battery run time from them than seen in the reviews but I guess at this price point that's hoping for a bit too much. :p

7. IdontexistM8

IdontexistM8 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the general build quality like? I'm in need of replacing a v. old 17 inch HP Probook. Gaming is low down as a priority and the spec is overkill but I like the styling and all black design of the Legion as opposed to the current business grade machines. My only concern is whether it would be even close to being as rock solid.

8. balkeet

Reputations:
    Yes build quality is rock solid

9. Pilsner Urquell

Pilsner Urquell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have ordered a Y540 from Lenovo's homepage with these specs:

Intel i7 9750H
    17,3" FHD (1 920 × 1 080), IPS, 300 nit, 144 Hz
    32 GB (16+16) DDR4 2 666 MHz SoDIMM
    256 GB SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GDDR6

I paid about 1274 USD for it (No OS included), I think it's a good price for that performance. I will add a 500GB SSD to be the secondary drive.

I'm going to install Win10 Pro from a USB flash drive and I'm wondering which Lenovo applications I should install? Lenovo Vantage seems like a must-have.

10. balkeet

Reputations:
    Yes vantage, select switchable graphics in bios, disable auto updates in vantage