Lenovo Y540 - main thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Dantei, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Lagom

Lagom Newbie

Reputations:
    I am very interested in this config (9300h + 1660ti). Can you say anything about the cpu temp compared to the i7? All reviews seem to be with the i7, and a bit hotter than I hoped for. If the i5 is not cooler I might as well choose the i7 instead.

2. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    I just ran Unigine Valley for two hours, got the following readings (-0.13v under-volt, laptop placed on a pad, ambient room temp of 25.5C)
    Average CPU: 74C
    Average GPU: 64C

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Lagom and balkeet like this.
  3. Lagom

Lagom Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! Not sure what the corresponding values are for the i7 setup, but seem good just considering the temp. I will check back regularly too see if you post any more.

4. Dantei

Dantei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Undervolted y540 -125mV - crashes.

5. Ramzay

Reputations:
    Yes, each CPU is different as to how much it can be undervolted. Some people reach as much as -150mV (which caused mine to crash). I'm currently at -130mV, which seems stable. The silicone lottery will determine how much of an undervolt your chip can handle.

Played some WoW (1080p, high settings, ambient room temp 25.5C, laptop direclty on desk, -130mV UV).
    Average CPU: 63C
    Average GPU: 58C

Keyboard temps:
    WASD area: 34C
    GHJ keys: 38C
    Right-side arrow keys: 32C

When playing "modest" games, seems to run relatively cool and quiet. But when the CPU+GPU are stressed, it gets somewhat hot and quite loud. You'll definitely need some headphones if you run some more demanding games - the fans are very noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2019
    Lagom likes this.
  6. Lagom

Lagom Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice, thank you. At what frame rate? I don't really plan to play the most demanding games, so I think this would work for me.

7. Ramzay

Reputations:
    I turned VSync on, so it capped at 60fps. When I get home I'll run it unlocked, see how high it goes.

Lagom likes this.
  8. Lagom

Lagom Newbie

Reputations:
    Right, wasn't sure if you had 60hz or 144hz screen. Looks like it is difficult to get hold of the 60hz screen with the 1660ti in Sweden where I live. So I was thinking I would go with the 144hz screen, but realistically not play games in 144hz very often. 60 hz is what I am used to. Maybe I can cap the game at about 60 hz anyways.

9. tt76

tt76 Newbie

Reputations:
    I noticed the y540 with a 17" screen wasn't listed in the original post - I happen to own one.

my laptop has the 17" 144hz 1080 screen (matte), i7-9750h, RTX 2060, 16gig ram and 256 ssd + 1TB HDD

I've tinkered with it a bit and I've managed to UV cpu by -0.250 core/-0.130 cache with Throttlestop, and for GPU I've OC'd to +185 Core, +1185 on the memory using MSI afterburner.

Seems pretty stable, no bsod, only a rare window closing if the laptop gets too warm.

I'm not sure if the 17" model allows for more air flow compared to the 15" chassis, but based on what I've seen on posts about the more common 15" model - I can get similar if not better thermals with my laptop with the same oc or uv applied.

10. Ramzay

Reputations:
    Looks like 65-85fps depending on the zone/amount of players.

Lagom likes this.