Lenovo Y540 - main thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Dantei, Jul 9, 2019.

1. balkeet

balkeet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use intel graphics settings to color tones

2. kdo

kdo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone
    a quick question
    what is this black foam like thing on air intake mesh?
    is it air filter?
    can air get past it? im asking because it seems air cant get past it! and if its the case i will remove it
    has anyone opened their devices to check it?
    [​IMG]

thanks

3. balkeet

balkeet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do not remove it. It's dust barrier. Dust kills motherboard. Even new nitro copied this thing in new nitro 5. Only the air intake vents below fans matter. You can check yourself by placing a small piece of paper under the laptop intake vents when fans are running hard, the piece of paper will not stick in center but below the fans where air is being sucked.

kdo likes this.
  4. kdo

kdo Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you
    I just asked it because i have a custom coolpad which have 2 12cm fan facing laptop intake fans and one 8cm fan facing this dust shield and from my experience with my previous msi laptop coolpad and good air intake can make a huge difference.
    my cpu temps hover around 85 (on 9750h with 78w pl1) during video encode so i want lower temps because it runs for a long time and plus i render in solidworks too (it can take up to 36hrs of constant cpu and gpu load).

maybe ill try removing and see the results and if it wasnt huge I will put it back. ill report the result if i do it.

5. kdo

kdo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone
    Update about this last post is that i opened my notebook but didn't remove it because it's using some kind of adhesive.

AND
    If possible i would be grateful if someone could test his/her notebook with prime95 (not long for about 2min will be enough like my shots) and upload the temps screenshot here.
    my core 2 and 4 temps are a lot higher that others and i want to see if its from thermal paste or not, and

I'm sure it would be helpful for a lot of people not only me.
    Prime95 Link:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/download/prime95/

or any other test that takes around 70w from cpu

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dantei

Dantei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you upgrade the 60 Hz panel to 144 Hz? Heard the 60 Hz version got 30 pins and 144 Hz 40 pins and the mainboard has to be replaced as well.

7. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

i just bought a lenovo legion and i am satisfied with it :)

My laptop is a Legion Y540-15IRH / model 81SX (i7 9750H/RTX2060/16gb/512gb SSD/ FHD 15.6'' 144mhz)

I added an External monitor with the Acer XV240Y, a razer deathadder v2 mouse, a Crucial MX500 SSD with a UASP box from UGREEN (model 70499) for my games.

-----------------

I changed the 16gb RAM (2x8gb) by 32gb RAM crucial (2x16gb) and change the thermal paste with grizzly kryonaut.

I did an undervolt and I am satisfied with the result,

I used MSI afterburner with the scan / test and after a few tests I raised the frequency of the RTX2060 to 200 mhz, everything is stable.

------------------

The Legion is very easy to disassemble, it took me just a few minutes to change the RAM and thermal paste, with a kit for disassembling electronic devices (purchase on Amazon.ca for about twenty dollars)

------------------

I play Far Cry 5 and the Benchmark result gives me 94 Fps with ultra settings and HD textures, everything is smooth when I play.

-------------------

I tried 3Dmark 11 free, and I get around 6400 points

------------------

I tried Cinebench R20, and I get around 6400 points

------------------

Currently I deactivate the turbo boost because I do not need it when I play games like farcry 5, the FPS being above 60 and the temperature of the legion is low.

See you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  8. skflsdkjfld

skflsdkjfld Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, does anyone know the latest nvidia driver compatible for our device? Thank you.