Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've seen this question a couple of times now, so I think I'll rip mine apart again and see if I can get one to fit. I'll report back in a little bit.

rupeshwar likes this.
  2. 0x33B5E5

0x33B5E5 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's not bad right? But that 2GB VRAM and the 500GB HDD is really putting me off, even though I know I can swap it out myself. Would you still get it after that?

3. gyarrados

gyarrados Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the base model from Lenovo Canada. Also had the $100 off but a really nice rep gave it to me for $1029. At 1080p, I doubt I'll need more than 2GB VRAM so that wasn't an issue, I do plan to swap out the HDD with an SSD though, even then it will still come out cheaper than the $1499 model and I can toss the old HDD in an enclosure.

4. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Eurocom Configure Model

If you configure it to be about the same as the Y50, it's about the same price ($1178). At the "normal" price, I'd go with the Eurocom, simply because of the more user-friendly design (as in it's very easy to change things, swap out components, upgrade, etc). You don't have the bloatware, driver issues and finicky wifi card that the Lenovo does.

But at $1040, it's hard to pass up the Lenovo. The HDD isn't an issue - you buy a SSD on sale and swap it out. And as mentioned, the 2GBVRAM is not an issue. Few, if any, games require that.

5. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to add to your conversation, you're also glossing over the portability of the Y50. The Eurocom is about same weight as the Y50 Touch (Y50 non-touch is lighter by 0.2kg), but the Y50 is almost half the thickness at 22.9mm (Eurocom is 42.7mm thick). That's a significant difference if the laptop dimensions are important to you.

6. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I didn't have the specific Black² drive, but I did have a 9.3-9.4mm agility 3 ssd lying around. First off, a 9.5mm will easily fit in the case. The bottom of the case has 4 sets of pads designed to prevent the 7mm drive from moving in place. When I put the 9.3mm agility 3 in the case, it just compressed these pads slightly more than what it otherwise would have with the 7mm drive in place.

You will NOT fit a larger drive than this (~9.5mm) in here though without removing these pads. If you placed some thin felt on the bottom of the case instead of the pads, and were okay with reduced shock protection, you may be able to get 12mm drives in this location, though 15mm, like WD's 2tb green would likely still not fit.

[​IMG]

7. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no it won't unless you can get a sand paper and scratch 2.5mm off the case

8. heibk201

heibk201 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    eurocom is just a clevo

9. Ramzay

Reputations:
    I have the Eurocom in front of me. Weight/dimensions are just fine. I don't know about you, but I carry my laptops in a bag, so dimensions don't really matter. 200g is insignificant in terms of weight. Only real issue is the Eurocom doesn't look as nice.

Like any other gadget, after the first few days, you get over how "nice" it looks.

When I first got my brand new car, I washed it several times a week. Now? Maybe a few times a year. But I'm still happy with it's fuel economy, it's steering, how low maintenance it is - aka the important things.

10. Ramzay

Reputations:
    Yes it is.

Your point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.