Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamp1980

vamp1980 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Depends what you will be using it for.
    If you want to do some graphics or game extensively then I would go for i7. Also more VRAM helps a lot in new games.
    If not, then i5 will suffice.

2. Jmunandar

Jmunandar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If you're going for cheap, and not asking for much, go for cheaper i5. My friend has it, it works really well. My friend has one. If you are looking for more power, and being able to play some games without always being plugged in, go for i7 with more vram. But since you said you are plugged in 99% of the time, might as well just go for the i5, unless you are playing more graphic intensive games.

Update: i might keep my laptop. Its just so darn good looking and awesome.

3. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Keep in mind that the i5 is also a dual core processor vs the i7 and its quad core. This may not matter to you, but if you do lots of photo/video editing then this will make a large difference.

4. zarraza

zarraza Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know the difference between i7 and i5... had my 1st laptop back in 2005. my current one is i7. the thing is, i do not do graphic editing etc. just daily surfing the web, and some gaming.

for example, even on 860m games like gta v runs smooth on high at 40+. I play hitman series, splinter cell, sometimes nba 2k, and once in a while big time games (gta 5, assasins creed, watch dogs blah blah). read quite few articles that i5 and i7 runs on same par in gaming, in some instances i7 runs worse than i5. not that many games are optimized for quads. Even i3 sometimes runs better than i7 in games.

http://www.techspot.com/review/972-intel-core-i3-vs-i5-vs-i7/page6.html

5. Luterin

Luterin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, both those cpu in that test are quadcore, it's just that the i7 has hyperthreading. But in the laptop, it's dualcore vs quadcore, so a much much bigger difference! Don't mix up mobile cpu with stationary ones!

Also, more and more games support more than two cores now, and even more will in the future, so the difference between the laptop cpus will become bigger.

6. MSGaldenzi

Reputations:
    Aww you beat me to it! Its worth mentioning that even with a modern desktop pentium and a GTX 980 desktop card, almost any game will run quite well, that card is a beast and that video has almost no relevance to the processors in notebooks and notebook graphics cards. This reminds me of how people get confused about CPU's and I really can't stand when people who buy U series CPU's must shell out the extra money for the i7 when its only 5-9% better than the i5, that would be a wasteful purchase and I would advise against that. Very off topic, but it grinds my gears.

Back on track... Here are benchmarks for the 2 chips found in the current Y50

Benchmarks
    i5-4210H - 4618
    i7-4720HQ - 8189

These were taken from passmark, but as you can see... they are very different numbers. I agree that most games rely more on the GPU power vs the CPU power, but if you are getting this to last more than 2 years, I always suggest going with the best you can afford... provided its a worthwhile difference (brings me back to spending 150 more on an i7u.... No clue why people do that).

Luterin likes this.
  7. MSGaldenzi

Reputations:
    Sorry to double post, but I just got my Y50 4k and I noticed that when watching youtube videos they studder really badly. Is this because the video I am watching is at 60fps and the display is stuck at 48hz? This was in google chrome with very few extensions running.

8. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A bit hotter outside and 95 degres on CPU plaing Witcher 3.. with underwolting and cooling pad...

9. Jmunandar

Jmunandar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think its an optimization issue. I feel that the y50 is not well optimized with chrome. I have a normal y50 and it stutters sometimes. Have you tried internet explorer? That browser seems to have the best optimization.

10. MSGaldenzi

Reputations:
    Its funny you mention that, it works fine in IE. Then again, chrome works fine for 4k videos on my desktop (also a 4k screen). It is rather annoying that I have to swap to ie that plays ads in youtube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.