Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m1ko

m1ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I never said that the bitcoin miner is the only issue. There could be others, but let's try to lower the possibilities, right? :)

skyrim is not exactly the best coded game in the universe, but still, it should be able to run it fine.

What's your room temperature?
    If you open task manager, what process is using CPU the most?
    is the laptop on a flat surface, with clear air and space around it?
    Do you have the latest BIOS version, and GPU drivers?
    have you overclocked your GPU?

2. Sluppo

Sluppo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Room temps around 30, if it increases I use my AC occasionally.
    Well no process goes beyond 2-3%, which is the Task Manager itself usually. When I'm playing Skyrim it uses around 5% CPU when I'm alt-tabbing and checking the Task Manager. Also, whenever I just open Task Manager after quite a while after I last opened it, it shows an Anti Malware executable using a LOT of CPU, some 30% or more, but it immediately disappears within a half of a second after opening the Task Manager. I've seen that happen many times.
    My laptop is actually propped on top of two books, such that the intake vent is open completely.
    Yes I updated my BIOS last night, and my GPU drivers have always been up to date.
    No, I haven't.

3. m1ko

m1ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    everything seem right..
    maybe check if your antimalware isn't running a virus scan constantly?

and friend.. i didn't want to tell you, but it's likely that you got a defective unit.

4. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Check this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/
    Get the TS software, run it and show us some screenshots. Even when TS is not enabled it serves as a monitoring tool and shows current load on all cores, temperature, VID and other info.

5. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im using TS , and i have so sshots from few days, here it goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 1st shot is from today, undervolted by -92mV on offset, surfing internet and 72 degres...

6. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hmm, I can't tell from the screenshots if the data shown is ok or not and I don't have that CPU to post comparison shots either. Maybe someone with 4710 can help you out with that.
    Did you have the same problems BEFORE using TS? In either case I would also suggest you to ask about your issue in the TS thread, members there have more experience with TS overall and maybe they can suggest to you some changes in TS config to obtain better results.

7. Sluppo

Sluppo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay I just opened the task manager to check again and there it was, 'Antimalware service executable eating a huge chunk of CPU, but disappeared within half of a second of me opening the Task Manager. Which program does this process belong to? I'll try and stop that program. Also, I just noted that when the laptop isn't charging, the temperatures are very low, under 70 *C, but the game also lags of course, I get like 25 FPS on Ultra in Skyrim. But as soon as I connect the charger, the temperature rises, along with the FPS increase upto 60.
    Is this normal? Even the idle temperatures are higher when my laptop is charging.

If this is a defective unit then is it normal that it worked properly for the first three-four months?

8. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Sluppo

Probably, when You are not plugged in, You have diferent max/min power for CPU set in settings, so the CPU is not runing at max speed while on battery only.

9. nonya24

nonya24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What scores do you guys get on Cinebench R15? I am only getting 450 and that seems really low. My CPU is not downclocking.

10. m1ko

m1ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well how can I know what antimalware you installed?
    Just what did you install?

This laptop is known to need to be connected to the power line to play games, so if you want to play, you need an electrical outlet.

of course it's colder when on battery gaming, because it's using less processing power! therefore lower temperature.

could be normal, something might have broke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.