Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sluppo

Sluppo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah I see. I'll do that next time then.
    Apparently, that will be soon.
    My happiness was short-lived. My temperatures are hitting the 90s again when I'm playing Skyrim on very high settings. I have a very important download running on uTorrent though, so I'm wondering if maybe that's the reason. Because the first time I checked the temperatures right after repasting I wasn't running uTorrent. Maybe I'll check again after turning off uTorrent just to be sure.

2. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im using MX-2 paste, i checked reviews and it was quite good one.
    I will try repasting again today and will post back results.
    But i think its something wrong with voltage, my CPU is using very high voltage even when idle, why is that?

@up
    I had exacly same thing before, 1st day after repasting was great, but later everything went back to high temps...

3. m1ko

m1ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    are you using the latest version of uttorent? if that's the case I highly suggest you to install another free as in libre alternative:

the latest utorrent versions have a hidden bitcoin miner, which can't be disabled.
    If you don't know what a bitcoin miner is, it's a program that does very complicated calculations, that fully use your GPU (more than any game ever could),leading to increased temperatures, and component stress.

4. Sluppo

Reputations:
    Yes I am, I read that somewhere yeah, but I never really used it much so I had forgotten about it. But I quit utorrent and the temps were same, does the bitcoin miner run even when uTorrent is not running?

5. themillen

themillen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    im guessing youre runninh stock bios? havent messed with voltages? If the chip is running max (or near max) volts at idle then yes that would cause crazy temps. I would check to see if a) on latest BIOS, b) make sure not some rogue software eating cpu cycles, and c) like youre planning to do repaste

lastly it IS possible for chips to degrade and use more voltage over time, but ive only seen that when dealing with overclocking, but i assume in rare cases can happen just over time.

6. Sluppo

Reputations:
    Okay so I did as you said and uninstalled uTorrent. But 10 minutes of Skyrim has got my temperatures soaring to 97 *C. This is pretty much like it was before I repasted. I am baffled. I don't know what to do now. Why is this happening to me? :'(

7. crazydawid

Reputations:
    Im getting 1.1376 - 1.1411 voltage ID in idle... But cant really find something running in background.
    The only thing i was doing with voltages was doing a bit underwolting with cpu offset.
    My BIOS is 9ECN31WW(v1.14), so are there options to reset ALL BIOS/registry settings apart from formating?
    I will do repasting in few minutes, so, for the CPU, use single tin line is best?

8. themillen

Reputations:
    apart from spreading yes, single line
    as for voltage on battery my 4720 is using 1.084 for turbo and .8 for when downclocked

9. crazydawid

Reputations:
    Is there a way for me to fight with that high voltage?

10. themillen

Reputations:
    you could undervolt, but for me, even being an enthusiast i dont like touching laptops. but others here have said they have done it, but for me i wouldn't but that doesn't mean you wouldn't. personally id contact lenovo, explain it to them. (don't explain you have repasted as yeah, might blow warranty IDK) tell them the temps are out of control, and the voltage required has increased. a mobo/cpu swap may be in order if youre still in warranty. if not, then may look into guide for undervolting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.