Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sluppo

Sluppo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used the pea method I think, It was actually a different kind of a blob because I couldn't just make it into one big drop, I had to do it again, and then remove some, and so on. So yeah then as themillen suggested, try repasting again. You might have accidentally done it wrong.
    Good luck!

2. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will do exacly what You said and we will see :)
    I have 1 problem, becouse i think GPU is not square, its rectangle, how to apply paste on that?

3. Sluppo

Sluppo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The rectangle one is the CPU, not GPU. The square one is the GPU and it will have the word Nvidia and something else printed on it.
    Well just put a thin line on the rectangle, that's what I did.

4. nonya24

nonya24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It gave it a good bit of a thump if I left it on my desk.

Really wish I could get it working again.

5. rickards

rickards Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    there is no y50 kepler version. 860m kepler cards are mxm socketed; the 860m in the y50 is soldered to the board.

6. rickards

Reputations:
    well, i used a soft bristle toothbrush soaked in isopropyl to clean my old dell laptop. flicked off all the paste that was stuck in between the pins ( i did a poor job pasting the first time). let it dry, repaste and it's running smoothly now.

7. nonya24

nonya24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I personally don't know, but several review sites claim that the first revision of the Y50 were Kepler based.

8. Luterin

Luterin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are both Kepler and Maxwell 2 GB 860m. GK104 and GM107. Best way to check, if you have the machine, is with GPU-Z.

My y50-70 has the 2 GB Maxwell anyway, not sure if the older y50 (without the 70) used the Kepler one, perhaps.

9. themillen

themillen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    if you have a throw away credit card (ie old hotel card or similar) you can do the spread method. ONLY if you have steady hands and sometimes it can take a couple trys. basically you do what applying even pressure does with the pea sized method. basically you use a pea sized drop, then spread a VERY THIN layer across the entire die EVENLY. with that method it is of great importance that when placing the heatsink down u do it directly where it is to stay, that is to say where all the holes match up and will not have to slide so as not to create air bubbles or pockets. generally it is recommended only for the experienced techs but with practice.. well you know ;) but as someone state you can do a thin line in the center of the rectangle (going long ways) i just find that if not thin enough will be too much, or it spreads to all once side and not enough for the others.

When i first got it i was actually going to do a video guide, but im finding it hard to bring myself to do. My temps (Even after oc'ing the gpu to max core oc and memory +350) have been great, so maybe in the future.

You never did say which thermal paste you were using, mind sharing? Also when you repaste please let me know the temps after :) Last question i guess i had for you, are you running latest BIOS?

All in all after having the laptop for a little under a week, im thoroughly happy with it. And Lenovo gets my kudos for giving me a free upgrade from my y510p. (basically had ADP + inhome 3 year warranty and i dropped it and cracked the screen as well as screwing the corner up the lcd assembly) and as far as performance increase from the y510p to the 2015 y50... light years better.

FFXIV Heavensward Benchmark... doubled! . y50vsy510p.png
    That was taken before i upgraded to 16gb of RAM as well!

The only gripe i had was user provided and i was eating up all my ram with chrome and steam and other various programs i always have open, but once i popped in the other 8gb stick i bought, went from 74-88% used at all times to 28-38% (makes no sense but hey!)

I take that back, i do have one major gripe that WAS lenovo's fault. The stock SSHD provided is utter crap, either by Firmware or Lenovo's energy management, but its a DOG i find it hard to believe that a WD Black drive with 8gb of ssd cache would be so slow on its own (plan on using it in a refurbished laptop ill be selling in my shop so i can tell if it really is the drive or a combo i mentioned a bit ago.
    But HIGHLY recommend if not stress the importance of throwing an SSD in its place. I only managed 2 hours with the provided drive before throwing in a nice 850 evo 500gb

EASY EASY process, basically back up any data (no cloning needed) or if you have an external enclosure or dock you can do that after. Basically open up control panel, do a search for recovery, and click recovery. and click create recovery drive and just follow the prompts. that will copy the ENTIRE recovery partition to a flash drive and after you install the new ssd just boot from the flash drive and follow the steps and itll be back just like how you bought it (after initial setup of inputing information) and copy youre user data back onto it and VOILA nothing a few hours in an evening cant solve ;)

But after playing some GTA V, Diablo III, Rocksmith, and Alien Isolation with mostly high settings at VERY Respectable fps, i can say this laptop is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the y510p. I was honestly considering selling the y510p prior to the accident to upgrade myself, but in the end Lenovo did that for me :) And i couldn't be happier. This laptop may not match my i7/980 ti home desktop, but for on the go/office/vacation gaming, productivity, etc it is a much better companion than i couldve hoped. I may replace the IPS with a better quality but as of right now, i can say that after the ssd and ram upgrade i think ive finally found a laptop that will calm my upgrade itch for another couple of years :)

wow this help/rant has gone on long enough, if anyone has questions or wants me to bench anything just let me know!

m1ko likes this.
  10. rickards

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.