Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sluppo

Sluppo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Who, me? I don't use Throttlestop. I don't want to mess with that stuff, at least not now, I'm pretty content with the laptop's current performance. Oh, I also forgot to mention, mine is the i5 version.

2. Sluppo

Reputations:
    Thanks!

I can simply use the toothbrush alone? Would I have to use some solution or can I just use it by itself? I'm afraid the bristles might damage the processor or something. I really don't know which parts are safe to handle normally and which parts need to be handled with care so I handle the whole thing like I'm defusing a bomb. 'Oh no I pulled too hard on that screw! Oh no I pushed it back too hard in! Oh no I pulled that wire accidentally, is this gonna blow up in my face now?!'

m1ko likes this.
  3. Sluppo

Reputations:
    This might be able to help you, somewhat.
    I've always had a problem with the combo jack or whatever you call this special jack, it gives low static when I connect my headphones (since they don't use that wombo combo jack) so I asked another friend who had the same laptop for help, he suggested me to disable the Realtek driver (or whatever driver makes the subwoofer work) and use the default audio driver. The woofer never really satisfied my anyway, it always sounded so flat... probably a manufacturing defect or something. Well anyway, so I switched the audio driver to the default one. So that might be your problem, because only the Realtek audio driver makes the subwoofer works. The other driver disables it. To be sure, check whether you have a red light coming from your mic jack. That's a sure sign that you aren't using the Realtek driver. I don't really remember where that setting was though, that let you switch between your audio drivers.
    Okay **** I need to know where that setting is too. I was messing around and accidentally deleted that sound driver, had to install the Realtek ones that came with the laptop.
    Please help. :'(

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Sluppo

I repasted mine, with the same temp problems, and temp stayed the same... over 90 in some games...
    I underwolted, use cooling pad and still geting CPU hot as grill :/

5. nonya24

nonya24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't see a light coming from my mic jack at all. I know the realtek software is running in the system tray though.

6. nonya24

nonya24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You know the Maxwell (4Gb) 860 is the exact same as the 960 besides 50mhz on the core clock, right?

But yeah, stay away from the Keplar (2Gb) version. It is much weaker and more power hungry.

This is what I have in my windows audio options, I get no sound at all with only the sub turned up. Where do you mean a light on the mic jack? I haven't seen that at all.
    http://puu.sh/ie9eM/c0146a9480.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  7. Sluppo

Reputations:
    Oh, I see. That happened to me yesterday during the second reboot after my repaste. It got hot as **** (70 *C) on just idle. I noticed that there was a process that did that. So I restarted again and the temps were fine, back to normal. So it might be some process that's eating up all your processing power.
    Or maybe, you need to clean the whole laptop. Have you cleaned the fans properly?

8. Sluppo

Reputations:
    Oh so that means your driver is not disabled then. Because when the Realtek driver is disabled your mic jack will give off a red light. Well I don't know anything else that could help. :(
    But wait, if you're this persistent to get it to work, then your subwoofer works well? Does the bass sound real deep?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  9. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Sluppo
    I cleaned whole laptop, its really clean inside, i repasted with X method both CPU and GPU, what whas that process that ida that to You?
    Cuz i really need some help, my CPU is hot as hell, 75++ while typing this (only chrome working)

10. themillen

themillen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    which thermal paste did you use? and x method i would think in a smal die situation such as this i would use a spread with as little as possible or go with small pea sized amount (im a pc repair tech as background) but thermal paste used plays a role. but using too much will actually have an adverse effect.

personally i would wipe clean and start fresh, first things first the cleaning process. use a papertowel and get as much as you can. then a paper towel with 91% isopropotol alcohol getting any remainder. then a coffee filter (leaves no lint behind) with a small amount of alcohol, lastly polishing any remaining alcohol with a dry FRESH no particle coffee filter. on both the cpu/gpu die as well as heatsink in each of these steps. once clean with NO particles (lint, hair, dust etc) use a small pea sized amount of thermal paste, remember again less is more in the case of tp. you want just enough to make a paperthin cover of the die, hover the heatsink directly over the die lining up the screwholes before ever coming into contact with the thermal paste. then slowly and evenly lower onto. screwing into with the numbers so thatt even pressure is applied allowing to spred properly. and then that should do it.

personally as for thermal paste for temp sensitive items like direct dies i use IC Diamond (VERY VERY TOUGH but works GREAT) but even in this case i think arctic silver 5 should work but remember it IS conductive! so be careful, i revived a laptop today using good ol AS5. computer (hp g6) would shut down due to overheating after 10 minutes of use. after my repaste it was able to do 2 hours of stress test.

anyways, hope this helps!

crazydawid and Sluppo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.