Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have problem with this laptop, i got jumps to very high temps while gaming.
    Its like average temps 60 degre and then BOOm max temp 86, its underwolted, using cooling pad and still that bad, i need some help lads.

2. m1ko

m1ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    by FAR get the 960M 4GB.

the CPU doesn't matter because it's basically the same;
    the GPU simply consumes less, but has 5% more power AND more Vram;
    supposedly Lenovo fixed the bios throttling on the 960;
    The screen on the 960 version Is what many of the people in this forum changed it to, while the 4K is yellowish, bad angles, will stunt your FPS in games, and most games will force you to run in a small window.

The only thing the 860 version has in advantage , is the SSD, but you can buy a SSD with the money remaining from the 960. (I strongly suggest the SanDisk Extreme PRO).

in other words, I'd swap for the 960, if I could.

3. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Underwolted, cooling pad, new thermal paste and still, plaing TW: Arena

[​IMG]

Need some help guys.

4. Kenstang

Kenstang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I actually found a great deal on Amazon for $999, which is the Lenovo model 59444165. It has the i7 4720, 16GB, GTX 960M 4 GB, and FHD Touch with 512GB SSD. I ended up rolling with that. Can't beat it for $200 more over the refurbished one. Thanks for your recommendation, the more I read about the UHD model the more I got scared away from it, plus the fact that it had lower specs.

m1ko and Rowoad like this.
  5. Rowoad

Rowoad Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's some good deal you got here!

6. m1ko

m1ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ye found a great deal.
    While you wait for it to arrive, search on YouTube "update your lenovo y50 drivers" or something like that,
    go to lenovo site and download the BIOS updates,
    then go to ninite.com and choose your free³ programs ;)

7. Sluppo

Sluppo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright guys so I'm back and I've finally applied new thermal paste on my CPU and GPU. So I posted here a while back that my CPU was reaching really high temperatures (90-95 degrees, and it even hit 98 once in a while) even for games like Dota 2, which isn't really a resource hungry game. So I was suggested to apply new thermal paste and I finally did it. I used Noctua NH-1. I'll describe the process step by step just because I haven't found any other guides or videos online when I needed them.
    Alright so I bought the paste, and then I was wondering where I could find Isopropyl alcohol to clean off the old thermal paste. I live in India so it's pretty hard to get over here. So I read somewhere that nail polish remover works too, so I went and bought one. I had ear buds with me, so I was planning to use those for cleaning. So I was all set and I started to remove the back panel (12 screws), pretty easy, I did this before to clean the vents and the fan. So next, I identified the heatsink from the photos online, and the screws on it. There were 6 screws in all, each numbered. They weren't completely inside the screw holes, they stood out a little, but that's how they're supposed to be, so don't worry. I unscrewed the heatsink and lifted it off. Damn, was I shocked (though I did expect it, because of the many videos I've seen online) when I saw that the thermal paste was splattered so horribly all over the CPU and GPU. If I ever find the bastard who did that I swear I'll kill him. Anyway, so it was a big mess, on the CPU, GPU, and the heatsink. I didn't think it was gonna come off. But I took a earbud and started anyway, on the heatsink first. It was actually easy to clean, I must say. The paste was very thick in consistency but not really hard or dry. I could take off a lot of it with the earbud. I kept using them until I could get most of it off. And then I thought, maybe I'd have to use the nail polish remover to completely clean it, as there was still a thin grey-ish layer on it. So I dipped the earbud in the nail polish remover and started using it to clean the heatsink, it worked, it cleaned off the whole thing pretty nicely, I must say. It smelled a lot too. Anyway, after cleaning the heatsink with the nail polish remover I was really wondering if I should use this on the CPU too, because I couldn't use just a 'little' of it, no matter how much I tried the whole ear bud would be soaked with the thing and as soon as I touched the heatsink with it it would spread all over the place. So then I simply used the ear buds without the nail polish remover to clean the CPU and GPU. I kept cleaning them, and after some 20 buds, they were finally squeaky clean. At least just the CPU and GPU heat spreaders, the shiny surfaces. I couldn't clean the rest of the processor fully because they had these protruding little pin-like things, that would not let me clean them with my earbud properly. So they weren't completely rid of the old thermal paste, they still had a small layer of it over them. I thought it wouldn't matter anyway because the heat spreaders were now shiny clean. So I was finally set. I took the Noctua NH-1 tube, and put a little drop on the CPU first, then thought maybe it was too little and then put some more, did the same on the GPU, and finally removed what I thought was excess with another ear bud. I then put the heatsink back on top and screwed it on. I put the whole thing back together and played DotA 2 on Ultra settings for about 40 minutes. The max temperature was 82 *C, with the average being 77 *C. This was a huge difference, compared to my old temperatures, which maxed at about 98 *C, with the average being 90 *C, even with most of the settings turned off, except for the textures. Almost 15 degrees difference. I'm really happy about this, though the original temperatures when I had just bought the laptop were somewhat better, with the temperature being around 72-74 *C when I played BF4 on Ultra. Not that big of a difference anyway, I don't mind.
    Oh, and I just noticed I haven't mentioned which temperatures I'm talking about. It's the CPU temperatures, my GPU was usually around 10 *C lower than my CPU. The GPU temperatures have improved as well, they used to be in the range of 80*C before, now they're in the high 60s - low 70s range.
    Thanks to everyone who helped me solve my problem, and especially Riotstarterr, who gave me the courage to do this, as I've never done anything like this before in my entire life. The closest I've gotten was clean my desktop CPU (which was around 8 years old).
    If there's anything else you'd like to know, please ask and I will try to help you. :)

KeiDash and m1ko like this.
  8. KeiDash

KeiDash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you using Throttlestep? If so, at what multiplier?

9. nonya24

nonya24 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I cannot seem to get the subwoofer to work on mine. Does anybody have any ideas? I have reinstalled two different realtek drivers and have the sub volume at max.

It was working before.

10. rickards

rickards Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    for future reference,
    i'm glad it worked out for you! good job.

for future reference, use an old toothbrush if you have thermal paste splattered all over the cpu/gpu pins.

m1ko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.