Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syahazu

syahazu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    well mine have bit stuttering, slow hdd perhaps.. 65gb gta v is a pain for it

2. FourForty

FourForty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Considering they're just a few LED's under the keys, I doubt it effects it much at all. LED's don't use much power.

3. KeiDash

KeiDash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Y50 reaches 96c max temperature when playing GTA V with the throttlestop multiplier set to 31 T. Is this normal? I used to get 85c max in Far Cry 4 with the multiplier set to 30 T. I've cleaned the laptop just a few days ago and I use a cooling pad as well. The GPU temperature is normal at max 80c.

Edit: Forgot to mention I've also undervolted the CPU in the Intel XTU utility by -40 mv.

4. spinozagr

spinozagr Newbie

Reputations:
  5. rickards

rickards Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    UHD is an IPS screen. has better viewing angles, but i think it's been mentioned that the colours are a bit off, but not too bad. UHD screen has a refresh rate of 48Hz and not recommended for gaming. it'd still be fine for movies though eg. the hobbit would still play at 48fps

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  6. spinozagr

spinozagr Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, but I made a research about "59-439796" serial number of Y50-70 and many sites have it as Ultra HD TFT 3840 x 2160 screen. That's why I am asking here, because I knew there was a UHD IPS screen. I didn't know about UHD TFT. But you can see if you search it, there are a lot of sites sell it with UHD TFT.

7. mystery905

mystery905 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TFT is the general technology. IPS is a sub-category, which the UHD is. If the site said TN then that is the bad one.

One thing to keep in mind with the UHD, is that yellows are mustardy. Also the one I tried out had bad black levels and yellowy whites.

8. Riotstarterr

Riotstarterr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

You are getting way more than me.
    Although I have i5 version and I repasted my laptop yesterday, my temps do not go above 90C (usually hovers around 85C) on CPU (Throttlestop on 35T multiplier locked) and GPU goes around 70C.
    I recommend to repaste your laptop, it is extremely easy to do on this laptop, because Lenovo made it very service friendly.
    Only thing to remove are bottom cover and then heatsink itself.

KeiDash likes this.
  9. KeiDash

KeiDash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Huh I guess I'll try repasting, I've just ordered Arctic Silver Ceramique 2. Which method would you recommend applying the thermal paste, pea drop, line or just spread it with a card? Thanks for your reply.

10. Riotstarterr

Riotstarterr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used to spread it, but it does not matter in the end at all.
    Now I do pea drop on GPU and line on CPU, then put heatsink on and screw it down, nothing more, nothing less. I got basically the same result as with the spread (kinda annoying) method.
    I repaste every half a year or so, so applying method does not matter.

Just make sure heatsink and CPU/GPU dies are completely clean.
    I use isopropyl alcohol to clean it up.

KeiDash likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.