Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarn06T

Jarn06T Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With TS v.7 you can. But this beta version is expired so you pretty much have to wait and pray unclewebb comes back. You might as well give some love in the throttlestop guide thread too.

Thing is XTU won't keep turbo boost at all time. I can only get it to work with TS so I have to make both work together! Most of the time it does work actually.

2. ahmadka

ahmadka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So after looooong wait, I've finally received my Y50 today !

I'd like to know how can I create recovery disks (before I replaced the default drive with an SSD) ? THIS link gives instructions for OneKey Recovery 7.0, but my Y50 comes with OneKey Recovery 8.0, which does NOT have the 'Create Recovery Disc' option. So how am I supposed to create the darn recovery discs ?

3. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
  4. Dragnoak

Dragnoak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also this:

http://support.lenovo.com/en/documents/ht080887

5. ahmadka

ahmadka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. So I guess there's no way to create any recovery discs as such ? Wow, that was unexpected :/ .. Anyways, I went ahead and replaced the HDD with my SSD anyway as I couldn't wait :p .. To hell with the recovery partition ..

By the way, Lenovo seems to love screws a lot - I had to remove like 15 screws in order to install my SSD .. Took me over an hour to do it (while be careful, etc.) ... On most other laptops, this is a 10 minute job ..

6. The Pikachu Mafia

The Pikachu Mafia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! I'm looking into possibly getting one of these computers for school and some gaming; specifically the FHD, i7, non-touch, 16GB RAM version. I was wondering if there was any place where I could get a good deal for one online? Newegg has it up for $1000 which is pretty awesome for what you get, but I was wondering if there was any place to find it for even cheaper.

Also are there any issues I should be aware of with the laptop itself? I've heard about the poor display, so that and the Hard Drive will likely be getting replaced down the road. Is there anything else to be aware of that could potentially be a deal breaker with this laptop? Thanks so much in advance for your response!

7. fast200

fast200 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, I installed Classic Shell because I'm not a big fan of windows 8 but when my wife uses her login she gets an big on-screen pop-up every time she hits caps lack. It does not occur on my login. I've seen some instructions online on how to turn this off, but I cannot find the on-screen display area most instructions refer to. Any suggestions on how to turn this off?

8. Jarn06T

Jarn06T Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fan clicking noise between 37-41 C degrees. Some have (I do) and some don't, it seems. No definite answer yet from Lenovo. You can find videos on youtube.

9. FourForty

FourForty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a quick question about the keyboard backlite.

Can it be set to turn off due to inactivity? If not with included software, but 3rd party? I tend to get up and walk away from my desk frequently and would love it if i can set it up to turn off the keyboard lighting after X minutes.

thanks.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    I don't think it can be set that way. It's hardwired to the machine from what I can tell and its either off,low,high.

Some laptops run the lighting thru software but you can change the lighting on this one purely with keyboard controls no matter the environment you are in IE the BIOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.