Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m1ko

m1ko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's my trick:
    just everything on high, but low or medium shadows, and 2x or 4x antialias.

almost always 30FPS with most demanding games, but don't expect GTA5 to be ported correctly... GTA4 was a disaster in the pc port.

2. syahazu

syahazu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    thanks for that, yeah thats so true haha,. till cant wait for it to be released on pc

3. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No its not on par.

3dMark Scores:
    GTX 860M (Y50) = 5050 points
    GTX 660 (desktop) = 6830 points

According to those figures the 860M is about 75% as powerful.

4. Laucien

Laucien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I've been watching/reading a LOT of reviews and impressions on the Y50. I've also been looking around for other laptops around the same price range and going from specs and build quality this one seems like the best one I could get. I can buy the Y50 UHD version with 16GBs of RAM, 256GB SSD and the 2GBs 860M for $1100.

I know I can't game in UHD resolution so, does the computer look good in the non-native 1080 resolution or should I spend a bit more and go with something with the same specs but that has a native 1080 display?. My second option is the ASUS GL551JM which has the exact same specs, a 1080 non-IPS screen and costs ~$100 more.

5. syahazu

syahazu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    what i do, ill take y50 1080p, and head for the ips screen replacement.... and thats what ive done,, now i am using y50 with ips panel,,, what a glorious achievement..
    btw Y50 speaker is the most outstanding as it preset with dolby system.... i love this machine

6. Laucien

Laucien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Yeah, sadly the problem with that is that I'm gonna be on vacation there. I can stop by a store and buy a computer but I'm not gonna be staying long enough to get a delivery with the parts and change everything before moving on somewhere else. Ordering the replacement screen here at home is nearly impossible =(.

7. sheng29

sheng29 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my bios is 1.09, do i need to update my bios? any improvement from updating?

8. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @up
    My temps vent up after bios updating and instead of that nothing have changed, so in my opinion not worth it :p

9. Ryzz

Ryzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, so i played the Ground Zeroes today, everything on Max Settings and it ran unbelieveably smooth, it's amazing! But this is just a "demo" and the game [Phantom Pain] is supposed to be open world thing, do you think it will run this smooth when it's released? I have 4 gigs of V-Ram and 16 gigs or RAM, also i was wondering if my Y50 will run GTA V on High - Very High buttersmooth, they released the specs today, what do you guys think?

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    Its impossible to say for either game since neither of them are out. If someone tells you they will or will not and you hold on to that promise you may end up disappointed. Thankfully there are plenty of machines out there running 860m with i7 4700s so there will be plenty of the feedback when they finally release on how it runs on that config. Im bummed GTA5 got delayed and we shall have to see how it runs compared to 4 did at release. 4 runs fine now but was utterly broken at release so who knows. The guys who brought Max Payne 3 to PC are apparently handling this port so hopefully that is some indication on the quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.