Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nord64

Nord64 Newbie

Reputations:
    Took me 5 min and I thought.... screw this I bow it away....done it with win 7 many times, blow it away (the factory install) and it's your's for good...don't be afraid. just make sure you saved what you want to keep. U will figure out the rest as long as u have internet access.

2. MichaelY50

MichaelY50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lol. That strategy has bit me in the past. But I know exactly how you feel. :)

3. MichaelY50

MichaelY50 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anybody have an idea of how high is an acceptable temperature for the i7 4710 chip to run at a sustained temperature while gaming? What temp is too hot? I hear that temps in the 90 range can be bad. Maybe y50 owners can list off some of the temps they get while gaming. Thanks guys.

4. Riotstarterr

Riotstarterr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I/we already did post temperatures. Check back few pages.

5. ahmadka

ahmadka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback guys .. Hopefully I'll have my laptop by this time next week, and I think the first thing I'll need to do is create Recovery discs using the factory Windows installation .. Then I plan to take out the default HDD and plug in my 1TB SSD, and do a fresh Windows install without needing the recovery partition. Then install all necessary drivers and software, and then once a stable state is reached, create a Windows System Image. This System Image will essentially be my 'true' recovery disc, and I'll recover from this in the future. This is what I'm currently doing with my nearly 4 year old VAIO - although I have the VAIO recovery discs, I've never used them as they install a bunch of crap. Instead I use my own 'custom' recovery disc.

I hope my plan is good :)

6. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I underwolted my CPU with Intel Extreme tunning utility, for my chip -92mV is stable and no performance loss.
    Now with most games im going about 80, with most demanding ones about 83-85.

7. Jarn06T

Jarn06T Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I undervolted mine -95mv with XTU (and then TS7 beta). Hitting about 75-78C when going full boost if I'm not mistaken.

8. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea iwoud love TS7, but license went off :/

9. Laucien

Laucien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Couple of quick questions.

The UHD version of the Y50, it comes with an IPS display, right? I've read in a few sites that it's a non-IPS LED one but dunno.
    Can I wipe the entire SSD and do a 100% clean install or are partitions/data that I should want to keep? Any pre-installed software that you can't get from Lenovo's website?.
    I know it doesn't come with any installation media but what about Win8's license? How do I do a clean install?.

Edit: When looking up drivers and software in Lenovo's site I only see the option to select the Y50-70 instead of just a Y50... they are the same model, right?.

10. syahazu

syahazu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hi guys, gta v is out for pre-order on steam, and i wonder, can our device, Y50 run this great game at high settings?

RECOMMENDED :
    Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHz (8 CPUs)
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD 7870 2GB
    Hard Drive: 65 GB available space

ought that i think gtx 660 is on par with our mobile gpu gtx 860m,,, or perhaps it may run at medium settings..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.