Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Most likely but if you want to be 100% sure get the CDs from Lenovo.

2. Riotstarterr

Riotstarterr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have i5 version with 860m GTX 4GB VRAM Maxwell. I used Throttlestop to keep CPU at max whole time and I scored only 3586 in Firestrike.
    With GPU OC about 100core and 300 VRAM Mhz increase I scored about 3860. That is still significantly lower than that Asus. Wth is this, how is that even possible? And if that Asus GPU is Maxwell, how come it does have that low GPU frequencies? Something is behind this and we do not know what.
    If I get my GPU clocks to same level as Acer Nitro with same GPU and CPU, I score about the same in Firestrike, so that seems OK.

3. derkeysersoze

derkeysersoze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This was the issue. the 347.09 disables overclocking. just a heads up to everyone. i rolled to 344.65 and it worked just fine.

e; ATG where is there a modded vbios driver for the y50? because the last thing i saw from prema was that it couldn't be done without extensive work. Let me know if i'm mistaken. Thank you.

4. Riotstarterr

Reputations:
    There is NOT a single laptop that scored higher than 5000, not even the ASUS one. These ASUS laps are almost 5k though, which is really weird. Also I haven't heard of 860m GTX that would have lower than 900Mhz on Core, looks like Kepler to me, which should be significantly less powerful than our Maxwell.

One guy (link below) OCed his 860m GTX in Y50 a LOT, cca 1300 Core and 2850 VRAM and still, he can't get any close to those 890Mhz ASUSes.
    Check this: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5424823?

EDIT: Ok so, apparently that reported clock (890Mhz) on those Asus is a default clock, which is 540 Mhz. Meaning someone reached almost 5k in Firestrike by OCing core by 350Mhz, so no wonder.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  5. syahazu

syahazu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    is it okay if my cpu temps reached 94 celcius during playing games (battlefield 3 full ultra settings vsync on) with active trottlestop? or i just need to switch the trottlestop off?

6. Riotstarterr

Reputations:
    What frequency are you running your CPU? I barely reach 80C at 2.9 Ghz.

7. mars9114

mars9114 Newbie

Reputations:
    can I install OSX Yosemite on lenovo y50-70 ?

8. pjrmax403

pjrmax403 Newbie

Reputations:
    To Ramzay...Did you ever find that Lenovo Settings App? I'm talking about the small windowed one usable on the desktop, with fan reversal?

9. cossh014

cossh014 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I currently have a modded Bios from Prema. But you're NOT mistaken, he has to do it custom each time so it does involve more work, since he works by donation only, donating does hurry him along quite a bit!(haha) I got mine in two days.

I dont know if it was the lack of sleep or I was just confusing myself when I typed that but I meant 4500+, every 860m seems to make 4500+ on a basic overclock.

I have to laugh a little, that "guy" in the link is me! :D it took hours dialing it in and overvolting to get it to break 4500+
    I would be happier if I was breaking 4600 like other 860m laptops.

10. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop is showig me max 85 degres on 2 cores, and 83 on other 2, but HW monitor show 93 degres on 2 cores and 88 on third and 87 on fourth, witch temp readings are correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.