Lenovo Y50 Owners and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kingfirejet, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingfirejet

kingfirejet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    ChowMeow, Shunsai, rupeshwar and 2 others like this.
  2. mattstermh

mattstermh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Overall pretty disappointed with the battery life. I seem to get 2.5 - 3 hour max.

3. toucanmonkey

toucanmonkey Newbie

Reputations:
    Is that using integrated graphics? Is there a way to switch off the graphics card? How high is your brightness? Thanks.

4. CheerCake

CheerCake Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Man, i thought the touch model would have less/no bezel from the other thread
    :/

5. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    kingfirejet, thanks for the tutorial!

I just ordered my Y50 Touch from Klick also, and had a few questions if you don't mind answering them.

1) What was the point of the last screw? Why was it okay to take it off with the last screw still in?
    2) I've always seen the storage at 8GB SSHD. Your specs listed is the first time I've seen it listed as "up to 512GB". Does that mean the size of the SSHD is adjustable (I didn't think that was possible)?
    3) Do you have links for the components (specifically the RAM) you upgraded?
    4) Do you have any links on how to clone the HDD to the SSD? I usually do a fresh install, but I know we're not given a key so it doesn't seem that simple. (I know I can google it, but any help would be appreciated!)

Thanks!

fantasticzig likes this.
  6. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's a pretty awesome background. Do you have a link?

7. Banender

Banender Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    for some reason king, you posted all viewing angles except for the one i was looking for lol! The vertical one with the screen tilted down (away from the keyboard)!

8. Hugeloser

Hugeloser Newbie

Reputations:
    I just ordered a y50 touch, i'll be upgrading the HD when it arrives. both the enclosure, as well as the SSD include transfer instruction & software. it's fairly easy. After you install the SSD and transfer windows, you can reformat the SSHD that comes stock and put it in the enclosure as an external HD for your X1/PS4.. or just for additional storage.

HD Enclosure (turns your internal HD into an external one) so you can transfer windows:
    Amazon.com: Sabrent USB 3.0 To 2.5-Inch Sata Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure Case (for 9.5mm, 12.5mm 2.5-Inch SATA-I, SATA-II, SATA-III HDD and SSD) Black (EC-TB4P): Computers & Accessories

SSD i'm replacing my HHSD drive with:
    Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE500BW: Computers & Accessories

fantasticzig likes this.
  9. SCARed

SCARed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    nice pics. still I find it sad from Lenovo not to integrate a mSATA-slot. that would have brought that NB very close to fullfill all of my wishes.

10. kingfirejet

kingfirejet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a fact of the moment. It seems I have 4hrs and 40mins of battery life on power saver with 50% brightness and the touch I turned off.

heibk201 and Lycaenops like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.