Lenovo Y50 Cooling mod - 10c

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Jetdel, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmj259

wmj259 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you guys please post whether this was a successful mod or what? Please if anyone's doing this mod, if you can post a pic by pic manual. I am very interested in doing this to my y50-70 but am paranoid if anything happens to my baby :). To the person that said if any dust can come into the system from there, cant you buy a piece of filter paper from a computer store and put it there? I'm seriously wondering that, sorry if I sound noobish? Also what are those vents for anyways, intake or exhaust, since there's a exhaust in-front of where my screen is (poor design location for a vent (in front of the freaking screen :eek:)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. raclimja

raclimja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I own a Lenovo Y50-70 and did this mod and didn't notice a single drop (not even 1c) temps nor it makes the keyboard area any cooler.

The is OP just trolling. As this guy explains the intake area is on the bottom.

3. wmj259

Reputations:
    dayum :( was hoping to do this. I appreciate it raclimja.

4. raclimja

raclimja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can use a program called IdeaFan (just google IdeaFan Y50) and what it does it raise the fan to max rpm for a couple seconds at a time which drops the temps.

You could also use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to undervolt the cpu and cache voltage offset by -65mv or lower which helps the temps tremendously.

As for actual physical mod, you could remove the dust filter for the intake on the bottom (the one beside the red circle) so there would be more airflow for intake.
    [​IMG]

5. wmj259

Reputations:
    cant find link to download, I'm trying to keep this baby clean as long as possible so no dust goes inside. Not sure how to do Intel extreme.

6. wmj259

Reputations:
    Hey guys i made a Fan cooling mod:

I used an old dell desktop fan, an office folder tray, and an old power adapter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This did show some advantage when i did some temp testing logging

[​IMG]

7. bluenostromo

bluenostromo Newbie

Reputations:
  8. bluenostromo

bluenostromo Newbie

Reputations:
    It seems to have helped me out, I would try it! It is not hard. Just use a hair dryer and a screw driver to pry those metal pieces off and the rest is pretty self explanitory

9. Daud96

Daud96 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sir, i used my hair dryer to heat it up for like 3mins but i still cant get to pry the aluminium shield up away from the removable bottom cover. Any ideas on this? Please help =(

10. Slive

Slive Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Apologies for necro'ing an old thread but wanted to give my input.

I purchased the Lenovo Y50 about 5 months ago with the intention of intensive gaming (sale was on - and I'm saving for a desktop so wanted something fairly cheap whilst I save up enough £'s for my beast custom desktop build - if the wife stops nicking my savings). Like all(most) Lenovo Y50 owners I encountered heating / throttling issues.

I overcame the throttling/performance issues with the standard use of Throttlestop / unparking cores / overlocking etc but the heating issue was still apparent and more so since doing the above.

So.. I came across this thread about modding the "fake" vents and removing the dust filter on the back and chose to apply the modifications to my Y50 and wanted to confirm the positive impact modding the vents has made to the temperatures on my laptop.

I made the aforementioned vent modifications after optimizing my system with various Windows 10 and specific Lenovo Y50 optimization guides, so can confirm the positive change in temps is principally due to the vent mods.

Tools used:
    1 x Crosshead screwdiver (screws on rear panel)
    1 x Flathead screwdiver to (lift the fake vent panels)
    1 x Wife's hairdryer (heat the glue to allow easier removal)
    Alcohol cleaner to remove any unwanted glue residue

https://www.facebook.com/gamersunited.global/posts/368041386719808
    (a rather brief but a decent guideline on what you can do to get the best out of your laptop, i.e overclocking / undervolting / Nvidia / OS tweaks etc)

Initially I'd reach anywhere up to 95° degrees CPU / 75-80° on the GTX860m (prior to the vent mods) and in some cases the inevitable shutdown of the laptop to prevent heat damage, even when using a cooling pad.

After the mods I never surpass 70-75° CPU / 65° - it's a massive drop in temps and the machine as a whole runs like a beast now without any worry of it randomly initiating the temp safe shut down.

Tested during 1-3 hour sessions on
    Battlefield 4 / Dark Souls 3 (various other titles)

So if you're not worried about the warranty and cannot find other ways to reduce temps / enhance performance of this laptop then go for it. I was somewhat apprehensive about modding the laptop after reading the posts from peeps stating it didn't have any affect on their machine but I was at a last resort and it needed addressing. It's by far the best result I could have hoped for and will not hesitate to perform such mods in the future.

I can post a performance / temp video later (currently at work) should anyone have any doubts on the positive impact this modification has on the Y50.

Kudos to the OP and to those that took time to prep these guides.

FYI: I have the below specs
    Lenovo Y50 / i7-4710HQ | 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz | GTX 860M 4GB | 1TB +8 GB Hybrid SSHD | 15.6" UHD 1920x1080 // HAVIT HV-F2056 Cooling Pad

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    alexhawker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.