Lenovo Y50 Cooling mod - 10c

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Jetdel, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Auer

Eric Auer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I dont see how that would be true, As it has no impact on the form what so ever.

Eric

2. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    You mean the laptop looks no different/worse with it removed?

3. Eric Auer

Eric Auer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes.

Eric

4. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks great with the removed caps from the air vents. Actually it looks better and more natural. The blocked vent intakes have annoyed me from the first look, but now I might reconsider buying this thing.

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Ha! Any gaming laptop worth a salt has open vents for best airflow, and many modders end up opening theirs up anyhow (regardless of brand) which helps temps greatly. It's easy enough to air blast it every once in a while to get the dust bunnies out.

Seraiel likes this.
  6. vanjan

vanjan Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to burst your bubble but those grills do not have any air ducts to them which means removing the plastic pieces will have NO benefit. You would have realized this if you looked at the cooling fan and heat pipe arrangement. All air intake is from the bottom of the laptop and all air exhaust is in the hinge above the keyboard. The only thing in the area of the grills is the speakers. You can see what im talking about here, and the bottom intake vents here.

Source: I'm an owner of a Y50 touch who has installed an SSD and regularly opens it up to clean out the fans.

raclimja likes this.
  7. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's quite easy to simply remove a dust filter, and blast all the dust out. Constantly opening up the entire laptop to remove dust, (and trying to get minute pieces of dust stuck on fan blades and in the heat sink blades) is considerably more effort. ;)

8. kevjitzoo

kevjitzoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It looks like an actual gaming laptop now! Good work!

9. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    More effort maybe, but more effective. Some dust-balls just don't go away with trying to blast them away. If the laptop supports it (and the Y50 does mor so than most laptops (except the even better clevo)) nothing speaks against opening it up and remove the big dust-mice.

I had to make a lot of additionaly air holes (with the driller) in my current old laptop, even on places which seemingly do not help cooling, but it helps a lot... a looooot. Now the fan sounds like it can breathe again, and the temperatures stay cool, even cooler than 5 years ago, when I first bought it. Crappy heat/air vent design. It's all around. I hope Lenovo changes on their next update some parts of the Y50 design.

10. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I cant make those things to go off (my are grey not black)
    Im trying with haidryer, but plastic around start to melting abit, but the glue is not giging a damn, anyone can give me some more pics/advices?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.