Lenovo Y50 Cooling mod - 10c

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Jetdel, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetdel

Jetdel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If I had to ever send it back in you can easily glue it back , there is no possible way lenovo would be able to tell. I bought this refurbished with 1 year Direct Lenovo warranty ...so not a big deal... Besides it runs like a dream and if it fails I'll just buy a Hp omen or MSi Ghost 970 m. This custom y50 been running perfect for 11 months now and many more years to come since it runs way cooler than when stock. Less heat on computer hardware = longer lasting parts....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. iceman200410521

iceman200410521 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my and planning to do this but was wondering, does it affect at all the vent is held, I mean is it loos after this mod or does it still keep firm to backlid, thank you very much

3. iceman200410521

iceman200410521 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just did mine and it doesn't affect at all on lid, still holds very well, temperature on keyboard does improve a lot, mine has the i7 4720hq so it runs a little hotter, tried with mgs 5 ground zeroes max temp on cpu 70c gpu 65, you can defenetly feel air going in thru vents wich means it needed that airflow. thanks a lot for sharing this mod is great. it helps n performance and it makes it look better

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. Riotstarterr

Riotstarterr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I somewhat like this mod, but in a long run, I feel it won't be that good.
    You basically opened a lot of "not that small" holes for air, that will include dust, fur and other unwanted stuff to enter your laptop.

5. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Considering how easy it is to open up the Y50, and simply blow out the fans with compressed air, I say its easily worth it.

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Lenovo has a habit of poor case design obstructing airflow. On the Y500/Y510p you have to cut the bottom cover to stop blockage of air intake for the fans.

7. Grimloki

Grimloki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since the vents are attached to the removable back cover, you can find a replacement back cover on eBay for something like $50.

Worried about voiding your warranty? Buy a replacement, and mod that. Keep the original. Problems occur, swap it and no one's the wiser.

It could also be contributing to the hinge failures on the Y50... perhaps thermal expansion and glue that weakens over time due to these guys running hot?

If dust is a concern, why not mod the mod with filter cloth or foam?

Thanks for this mod. Its brilliant.

8. utk

utk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi
    I tried this mod and removed the aluminum strips from the backvents, but i got no drop in temperature.
    Not one degree.I still reach 78c after doing the mod which is the same as before.
    I dont know what is to be done differently here but if i had to say.. the fan openings are in contact with the bottom filter so the only way i think to reduce temp. is to remove the filter or replace it with smthin else.

9. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If such minor "mod" can drop 10C, what exactly were designers thinking when they made this thing?

Incontro likes this.
  10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    Form over function

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.