Lenovo Y50 Cooling mod - 10c

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Jetdel, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetdel

Jetdel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Funtional Airvents:
    Not for the average user:
    en·thu·si·ast Modifications:

Hi I bought a Lenovo y50 Touch Refurb for $819. It was brand new. I think someone tried to change the hardrive to SSD and gave up. I was able to install a Samsung 840 Evo ssd for faster boot times and application loading times. I removed the material covering the intake vent to get more airflow and was able to get it to drop like 5c. Before I was getting 35c idle and sometimes up in the 70's celcius while hardcore game designing and gaming. Now I took a look at the vents and noticed they were non functional. There is an aluminum air shield blocking the vents/ holes under the display above the keyboard. Lenovo has glued these to the removable bottom cover and they are in there pretty good. I was able to remove them with a heat gun and a mini flat head. I heated it up without melting at distance. Then I used the flat head to lift up the little metal tabs and gently separated the aluminum shield from the bottom laptop cover. Now it is funtional and air can now be sucked in from the vents on bottom and back. My computer now idles at 24c and max while playing Arma 3 at 59C max. Just wanted to share this with other y50 owners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See those three little holes for airflow what a joke....lol

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Daud96, Mr Najsman, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.
  2. crazydawid

crazydawid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great tip !
    NEED to try this one!
    But I dont have tools to remove it as You do, is there any way to do it without it?

3. Jetdel

Reputations:
    Yeah you can try a hair dryer and a thin butter knife or guitar pic or old plastic card...

4. bernieyee

bernieyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pictures of what it looks like now?

5. Jetdel

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

And the finished product. We don't make a lot of the products we make em better...

franzerich and octiceps like this.
  6. DAXTER619

DAXTER619 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Aren't you worried about the dust that can fill in from there?

7. Jetdel

Reputations:
    Not a bit. Other Gaming laptops like MSI gt70 ASUS 751 have fully functioning vents and they are not worried about dust. I cleaned the Fans , repaste the thermal and it's very easy to open up and blow out. Besides i like gaming Hard with 59 c max over 80c+ any day. It's like taking the muzzle off the horses nose. My y50 can breathe much better now. it definitely feels a lot faster and smoother. The y50 has a rapid reverse blow back feature on the fans that runs for 2 mins to clean out any dust.fyi p.s the keyboard bareley gets hot now....

DAXTER619 likes this.
  8. Jetdel

Reputations:
    Even with throttlestop enabled and High performance mode I'm still gaming all day and night 60C. Without throttlestop y50 will downclock itself during gaming and gameplay will not be smooth. With throttlestop I'm running 3.4ghz with no downclocking during gaming with solid game perfomance. If it was'nt for throttlestop I would have send this y50 back to China a long time ago.

9. Jetdel

Reputations:
    my next y50 mod will be a post about how to carbon fiber wrap your y50 like I wrapped my COD MW3 Special Edition Trailblazer

10. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    This should work with the Y40 as well, right? My friend just got one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.