Lenovo Y470 and Y570 Official Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by nightspearx, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelroots7xe

steelroots7xe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys. I just received my Y570. I was curious though. My box only came with a McAfee Antivirus Plus (1 Year) installation CD. There are no recovery CDs for Windows, Lenovo Software, etc. Previous notebooks I've owned always had recovery installation CDs and CDs for the drivers and pre-installed software.

I'm quite confused since some unboxing videos on Youtube have owners taking out what looked like the Recovery/Installation CD for this specific model. Other unboxing videos didn't have the CD.

Am I supposed to receive one as well? I purchased my unit from Singapore, if that information helps.

If there really is no Recovery/Installation CD, how would I re-install Windows on the machine, and also the drivers, proprietary software (RapidDrive, etc.)?

Thanks for any replies!

2. GavinTheAlmighty

GavinTheAlmighty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to say thanks very much for all of your input into this thread. I don't know a whole ton about the internal workings of computers at all; I just know that my old Sony Vaio from 2004 and my wife's IBM R50e from 2005 just weren't cutting the mustard anymore. After reading about how satisfied so many of you were with your purchases, I ended up ordering the y570 i7 2670 8gb RAM 750gb/64gb SSD from TigerDirect.ca for $1000 CAD (same price as ordering from the manufacturer, except that TD actually had it in stock).

The competitors were the Samsung Series 7 Chronos (not released in Canada for months), Asus A73, Toshiba Satellite, and MSI X460DX, all with roughly similar specifications. I settled on Lenovo as I'm a huge fan of IBM's build quality and I know that they're still very solid.

I probably over-ordered for my needs, but I'm a huge fan of future-proofing when it comes to laptops.

I experienced the headphone static issue, but the solution here seems to have it resolved. I've been able to easily update my drivers, set a few programs to automatically pick the 555m instead of letting Optimus decide, and get everything running smoothly. I am running Left 4 Dead 2 (yes I know it's two years old) at maximum everything, and it runs perfectly. I don't know how many frames per second I'm getting, but it's good enough to be fluid and that's all I need. I know that I won't be running games at maximum quality, but as long as I'll be able to run Deus Ex: HR and Skyrim at medium quality, I'll be 100% satisfied.

The screen resolution doesn't bother me in the slightest; in fact, I think it looks great. Bear in mind that I'm upgrading from laptops that maxed out at 1024x768, with washed out matte screens. This is a huge improvement for me.

I still don't know nearly enough about it and this is my first experience with Windows 7, but so far, so good.

Again, thanks everyone - I appreciate all of the time you've taken to provide your input, reviews, concerns, and solutions. You all helped me with this purchase, and I greatly appreciate it.

3. raz1337

raz1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't see any CD's at all. However, your laptop comes with Lenovo Onekey pre-installed. The laptop has a recovery partition, which I actually used last night. Onekey also has the ability to create restore cd's for you.

4. wildcard36qs

wildcard36qs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do not know what your issue is. Here are my 3Dmarks:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2410M Processor,LENOVO Base Board Product Name score: 9991 3DMarks
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2410M Processor,LENOVO Base Board Product Name score: 11412 3DMarks
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2410M Processor,LENOVO Base Board Product Name score: P5039 3DMarks
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2410M Processor,LENOVO Base Board Product Name score: P5934 3DMarks

5. daveagp

daveagp Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got a new Y470 with a 500MB drive that is faster than normal (7200 RPM?). Right out of the box there seemed to be a hard drive problem... a series of clicks (about a half-dozen) in a distinctive pattern sometimes followed by a beep. It only comes up while the hard drive is active, comes up even when mute, and the computer freezes while this happens. I hope the replacement is better!

6. raz1337

raz1337 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I managed a 9415

Comparing the 3dmark06 details, yours says under graphics card

Memory
    1024 MB
    Core clock
    752 MHz
    Memory clock
    1570 MHz
    Driver name
    Driver version
    Driver status
    Not FM Approved

But mine says

Memory
    32 MB
    Core clock
    0 MHz
    Memory clock
    0 MHz
    Driver name
    Driver version
    Driver status
    Not FM Approved

Why a difference?

7. wildcard36qs

wildcard36qs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably just not reading it right, I dunno. Same driver version though, and you got your score back up.

8. jnorman5

jnorman5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They ended up sending me a replacement drive and I am good to go now :). I must say... it was pretty painless working with Lenovo support.

9. merderoms

merderoms Newbie

Reputations:
    Nope it's the standard 5400rpm. Like I've said, apart from boot time, the dual core desktop feels snappier most of the time in opening programs, folders and what nots. Also, its 30-35 sec average boot time is faster than 35-46 sec ave. on my Y470. I know that desktops are generally faster but it's just a bit frustrating that a Pentium dual core(!) could seemingly kick my i7's a$$ boot time wise.

But then again, back reading the previous posts it seems that the boot time of users/owners in this forum (without SSD, with system tweaks) ranges anywhere between 26-70 secs. And yes, I agree that the boot optimizer is not really accurate.

I'm not OC about the boot time by any means; perhaps I just have high expectations that there IS going to be a major diff in speed

Having an SSD upgrade is out of the question for now (at least til the next 6 months) coz it's too costly and difficult to find one where I'm based.

Thanks for the feedback

10. merderoms

merderoms Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing - from one new Y470 owner to another.

Maybe I should go for a clean install too. The animated windows logo on my GUI boot screen has a persistent 1-2 sec. jitter/pause. It's also mildly irritating. What could be the problem here?

Haven't upgraded all the available drivers coz i've read somewhere that some newer ones could be more problematic than helpful. Anybody could confirm this?

Just curious man, what is your average boot time and WEI? I'd like to know whether increasing my RAM to 8GB would make a difference in my WEI.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.